Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Backlash

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 09:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backlash

I did my gear swap this past weekend and went from 2.73's to 3.42's. Thanks to Keliente's write up things went smoothly. I checked my backlash and it is in between 10 and 11 on set of Richmonds. It was my first time using the dial indicator so I plan on rechecking it but I got 10 in one spot and 11 in another. I have seen everyone say they call for 6 degrees on backlash but it has 8 carved in. I read the instructions that came with the gears and they say that being within 4 degrees is acceptable. My question is am I close enough or do I need to hit that 8 dead on. I discovered my pass axle was pretty narly so I just put things back in to set it on the ground and am waiting on new axles before I put the fluids in and take it for a test drive. I also checked my pattern and it looked like this.

I think this looks good I am just curious on the backlash. I just put the old shims in and checked it.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:33 PM
12 Second Club

pattern looks good to me. And as far as the backlash i would try to get closer if i were you. When i set mine up i put the backlash at 6. But i'm not a "gear guru" so i dont know.

Brent
Old 04-04-2007, 07:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

I called Richmond's Tech line today and asked if 10 was ok on the backlash and they said that was fine and that most of there gears are set up between 8 and 10 so I was good. I guess the final test will be when I take it for a ride.