Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Need Help Fast!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 05:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need Help Fast!

My rear end is still making noise. Pinion depth and preload are good. With the correct backlash the pattern looked too much toward the toe of the tooth. I increased the backlash to move the pattern to the middle of the heel-toe. The backlash is much too wide and the rear feels sloppy when I take off. Also, I can hear a slight click like the pinion turns and makes up the backlash distance before turning the ring. Do I tighten the backlash up to spec and let the pattern run on the toe? Will that quiet it down and reduce the slackiness feel? I have seen both the coast and drive side running off the toe being acceptable but I thought a pattern in the middle of heel to toe is the quietest. I need some guidance!!!!!!
Old 04-03-2007, 05:40 PM
On The Tree

When you set your pinion depth, the backlash should also be within the spec. I believe it doesn't matter much if the pattern is in the middle from heel to toe or not because it depends a lot on the shape of the housing. What matters is the position from face to flank. Once you have the correct pattern then you move to adjusting the backlash.

Read page 7 under "Important Pattern Information"
http://www.ringpinion.com/Content/Ho...lation_Kit.pdf
Old 04-03-2007, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

So it is true that you can have a quiet gear set running off the toe? And will decreasing the backlash improve the sloppy feel?
Old 04-04-2007, 11:27 AM
10 Second Club

use these instructions to help, go to page 15 for some good pattern info:

http://www.yukongear.com/Downloads/T...structions.pdf