Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Need a 10 bolt expert

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a 10 bolt expert

I'm picking up a 10 bolt out of a 93 T/A and was going to have my buddy swap in 4.10 gears. Anyone know what kind of gears I need to get? What kind of posi is in it? My buddy says he can rebuild them at his shop if he knows whats in it. Anyone know if it has the same anti lock brake components so my car will still have rear anti lock brakes?

If you guys know the answer to these questions it would help out alot.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

If your car has traction control you have a 4 channel ABS set up if you do not have traction control in your car you have a 3 channel set up. Best case is to find the proper rear for your car. 4 channel rears have two ABS sensors, one on each backing plate which run off reluctor wheels which are pressed on each axle. 3 channel rears have a plastic sensor in the top of the housing which runs off a reluctor wheel pressed onto the posi

Stock 10 bolts for 4th gen Fbodies have a 7.625 ring gear. If the rear you are buying has a 2.73 ratio it has a 2 series posi, if the rear you are buying has 3.23 or 3.42 ratio it has a 3 series posi you can order 4.10 gears for either a 2 series or a 3 series. I reccomend Motive.

Hope that helps
Old 04-04-2007, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by alamantia
If your car has traction control you have a 4 channel ABS set up if you do not have traction control in your car you have a 3 channel set up. Best case is to find the proper rear for your car. 4 channel rears have two ABS sensors, one on each backing plate which run off reluctor wheels which are pressed on each axle. 3 channel rears have a plastic sensor in the top of the housing which runs off a reluctor wheel pressed onto the posi

Stock 10 bolts for 4th gen Fbodies have a 7.625 ring gear. If the rear you are buying has a 2.73 ratio it has a 2 series posi, if the rear you are buying has 3.23 or 3.42 ratio it has a 3 series posi you can order 4.10 gears for either a 2 series or a 3 series. I reccomend Motive.

Hope that helps
Thanks

I don't have traction control and neither does the 93 rear I'm picking up. So sounds like they are both 3 channel set ups. It has a 3.23 gears so I need to get 4.10 gears for a 3 series posi.

Anyone know if there is a posi rebuild kit I can get?
Old 04-04-2007, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

If its a 93 its probably an Auburn. Auburn offers a rebuild kit. Check the Auburn website. The only thing is, the only kits I have seen for an Auburn contain springs and pressure plates but the cones you must reuse. So unless the kits have changed recently, and teh cones are worn, the kit wont do much for ya.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:54 PM
14 Second Truck Club

There are no kits for changing the cones, which is usually the wornn part. They do offer an exchange program, but I think that only applies to aftermarket units.