Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Switching to Strange 12-bolt... anything else needed?

Old 04-16-2007, 03:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Switching to Strange 12-bolt... anything else needed?

I'm looking into a Strange 12-bolt for this summer... and am still on bone stock suspension with a 4L60E. It will be a 3.73 gear (3.23 now) and with the optional aluminum diff. cover. Will I need to purchase anything else to make the swap, or does Strange do the job for me? And is there any helpful tips or help that ya'll could supply to help make the purchasing and install of the rear easier?

Thanks.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I needed to lower the swaybar, it was hitting the diff cover. I bought longer end links and cut/drilled some flat stock to shim the swaybar mounts down. I used flat stock to shim a little at a time because I didn't know how far to go. If I were to do it again, I'd get some 3/4" box steel to make the job easier.

I ran the stock driveshaft for a while before switching to a chromoly. From what I remember, the 12-bolt needs a slightly longer or shorter driveshaft (can't remember which), but the stock one will work.

It comes un-painted, I blasted mine with cans of krylon primer and flat black from home depot.

If you know how to check a gear pattern, you may want to pop the cover and check it before you install. Mine was set up good from strange so you can probably skip ths step if you want.

Search this Thread