Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

What parts do I need to do an axle replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default What parts do I need to do an axle replacement?

Hey all,

Car is in the shop and they tell me I have ~2" of play in the passenger axle. They are taking the diff cover off now to examine the diff to make sure there's nothing else wrong with it.

If it is just the axle I was thinking of replacing it myself assuming I can find an axle somewhere in Houston for a decent price. Problem is, I've never worked on a solid axle car before and don't know much about it.

I think it goes like this:

Remove diff cover
remove center pin bolt & center pin
remove abs sensor & brake caliper
push axle in and remove c-clip

But what about bearings, seals, etc? I'm not sure what needs to be replaced.

If anyone is in the NW houston area (cypress) I'd be more than happy to buy you a six pack and some pizza for some help.

I tried searching but the search is jacked up right now, all I get is google search which sucks.

Russell
Old 04-24-2007, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's just replacing an axle, the steps are exactly like you said. However, if you have 2" play in your axle, I bet something else bad is going on in there. Does it make noise? Your C-clip may be missing and your axle is held only by the brake caliper.

Now, bearings and seals should be replaces if they're damaged. You have two wheel bearings and seals, two carrier bearings, two pinion bearings and one pinion seal. Some bearings come with races and some are harder to inspect than others. I recommend reading this first so you have some idea what you can or cannot do by yourself.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

thanks for the link!

The shop did an inspection on the differential and said it was in good shape? I have no idea what is causing the 2" play. Hopefully I can get a better idea when I go by tomorrow to look at it. I definitely don't want to replace the axle only to have the same problem later.

The only thing I could think of that would cause that much play would be a missing C-clip. Come to think of it, I did hear a high pitched squeal from the rear a couple times, a few weeks ago. I wonder if that was the C-clip getting torn up.

Anything else that would cause that much play in an axle?

Russell