Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

torsen carrier question

Old 04-24-2007, 09:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default torsen carrier question

"If the carrier is making noise aka "the rusty screw sound" it WILL be loudest during turns as that's when the worm gears in a torsen will be moving the most. You will hear this effect the worst making a sharp turn very slowly, especially in reverse."

I found that quote in another post and was woundering why in turns it makes that horrid sound. i actuly just noticed it after removing my super chips controller (used it to alter shift points on the A4). Its very loud (well im very **** too lol) and wasnt sure why in turns it did that. do i need to replace the carrier or is this normal?

corey
Old 04-25-2007, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

It's probably on it's way out. Mine made the same noise, I replaced the torsen carrier with another used factory torsen and same noise. I just rebuilt the rear with a tru-trac, motive 3.73's, and all the fixins. Noise is gone and the tru-trac is SAHWEET!!. Cost me about $700 with me doing the labor, but it's well worth it and it hasn't broken yet.

If you're an M6 and launching on slicks, might as well pony up for a 12 bolt or 9" as your money will more than likely be wasted on the puny 10 bolt. Mine's an A4 and with stock convertor so I'm crossing my fingers that it will last.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

My torsen was popping loud on slow turns then later on every right turn. The torsen was trashed.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

ya i did one good brake stand and left about 20+ft of rubber. after that i noticed it alot more. im pulling the diff cover tonight. anything i could maybe spot that would tell me its going out? lol the dealer ship doesnt like me very much right now so i want to be sure there is somthing wrong w/ it before i waste my time and bring it to those ^%@$ suckers. friggin thing only have 26K on it.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

If you decide to get a new differential, I have a brand new one for sale.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: torsen carrier question