Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Chainging the Fluid in my rear end...

Old 04-25-2007, 12:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chainging the Fluid in my rear end...

by reading the FAQ i saw 75W90 and 80W90... is one even marginally better than the other?

I also heard if you use synthetic you dont need the Limited slip addative?

I have a 1998 Camaro SS so i have the auburn Diff I believe

which i believe used the limited slip addative...

Installuniversity says I should use 12oz of the limited slip but everyone says 4oz?

whats the truth!
Old 04-25-2007, 01:36 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im always use GM additive, for rears that require it.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Im always use GM additive, for rears that require it.
how much of it? one 4oz bottle?
Old 04-25-2007, 02:10 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeap, the whole bottle, WHen I didnt use the fluid with non syn fluid, it made horrible noises.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:13 PM
Launching!

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm says use 12oz it must be a typo
Old 04-26-2007, 12:17 PM
Launching!

to the top
Old 04-26-2007, 02:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by EvilCamaroSS
I also heard if you use synthetic you dont need the Limited slip addative?
Here's my experience... I've run synthetic gear oil (Mobil1/Redline) in my car since it had about 4K miles on it - It's now at just under 100K miles. During that time, I've changed the fluid 3 times (no drag racing, just DD usage) and never put in any limited slip additive. It did "groan" slightly during very slow & tight turns, but that was about it. Only recently did I ever experience any kind of chatter with the differential. It seems that with the number of miles on the differential, the clutches are no longer operating smoothly. I'm going to change out the oil soon with synthetic once again, AND use the additive this time.

Also, I think the disclaimer with using synthetic oil is that you MAY not need the LSD additive.

The Auburn Gear limited-slip differential design has been extensively tested with high quality non-synthetic 80W90 hypoid oils treated with GM or Ford friction additives (3 oz. of additive will treat 1 quart of oil). To avoid differential clutch chatter (noise) and for optimum performance, use the oil and additive described above. Use of other additive and oil types may cause differential clutch chatter.
From Page.2 of this http://www.auburngear.com/aftermarke...structions.pdf
Old 04-26-2007, 02:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have an auburn diff, use the additive.

Stick with regular oil, syn is not necessary at all. 75w90 and 80w90 are very close...just pick one.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by keliente
Stick with regular oil, syn is not necessary at all. 75w90 and 80w90 are very close...just pick one.
Synthetic oils may not be necessary, as a conventional oil would probably be acceptable for most people, but I would venture to say that most of the performance-oriented people on this site would opt for a better performing synthetic oil when possible, and when it fits their budget. For EvilCamaroSS (and others) here's some of those benefits: http://www.redlineoil.com/whitePaper/10.pdf.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:46 PM
TECH Resident

hi what i did was go to auburn web site and it will tell you al you need to know ??????????
Old 04-26-2007, 08:48 PM
Launching!

I already have 2 brand new quarts of 75W90 SYN laying around from the tranny in my Acura so I"ma use them... Should I just use the one GM 4oz Bottle of LSD addative? or should I use more?
Old 04-26-2007, 09:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jb442
Please follow this link and read both pages. Then you will be able to make an informed decision. AFAIK, this is true for all the synthetics. I have used several brands of synthetics and never used any additive, nor have I heard any noises. My excessive wheel spin, however, is not caused by any additive (page 2 of the white paper).
Old 04-26-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

Synthetic oils may not be necessary, as a conventional oil would probably be acceptable for most people, but I would venture to say that most of the performance-oriented people on this site would opt for a better performing synthetic oil when possible, and when it fits their budget. For EvilCamaroSS (and others) here's some of those benefits: http://www.redlineoil.com/whitePaper/10.pdf.
Yes but in the case of the rear end the regular does just as good of a job as the syn, so why spend the $$ when not needed? I drag race, I auto x, I daily drive, I don't use syn.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:45 PM
Launching!

Yes but in the case of the rear end the regular does just as good of a job as the syn, so why spend the $$ when not needed? I drag race, I auto x, I daily drive, I don't use syn.
I think you missed my point... You're correct in saying that synthetic oils are not necessary, and that regular gear oil is adequate, but saying that is very subjective. They most definitely do not perform as well as synthetic. Most people around here are looking for more than just adequate when they're working on their cars - They're looking for the best performance possible. There are gains to be had when using synthetics and my point was that synthetic oils will outperform conventional oils in just about every category.

From Redline --> BENEFIT SUMMARY:
• Provides the greatest gear protection available
• Reduces differential and gearbox temperatures
• Increases differential and gearbox durability
• Rapid lubrication even in very cold weather
• Improves shifting in manual transmissions
• Provides improved drivetrain efficiency
• Prevents foaming even at high speeds
• Low corrosiveness reduces synchronizer wear
• Stable even at elevated temperatures
• Can be used in limited-slip and regular differentials
• Suitable for competition and street use
• Compatible with petroleum and other synthetics
• Compatible with seals designed for petroleum
• Satisfies requirements calling for API GL-5 and GL-6
• Allows extended drains in non-warranty vehicles

In the past, I've seen articles in HotRod Magazine, or others, where they dyno a car and then change all the fluids to synthetic... In the tests they always gain power due to reduced friction, temperature, etc. So, if you want better protection and a few extra usable HP while you're at it, switch to synthetic. If the additional cost is a problem, then stick with conventional.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:11 AM
Launching!

One 4oz container?
Old 04-28-2007, 03:18 PM
Staging Lane

Not trying to take this off track, but would I be able to use synthetic 80w90 in my 96 axle? Factory states I need standard 80w90 with additive, but i'd rather go with an Amsoil synthetic....
Old 04-29-2007, 03:45 PM
On The Tree

I'm doing a fluids change tomorrow and my preference is synthetics. I'm going with the Lucas synthetic 75w90 and going to give Lucas a call tomorrow morning and ask their recommendation on the additive. Everyone seems to have their preference and recommendations. If you are using the additive, then yes, as the owners manual states it would be 4oz.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fasttimes1
I'm doing a fluids change tomorrow and my preference is synthetics. I'm going with the Lucas synthetic 75w90 and going to give Lucas a call tomorrow morning and ask their recommendation on the additive. Everyone seems to have their preference and recommendations. If you are using the additive, then yes, as the owners manual states it would be 4oz.
howd it go?
Old 05-01-2007, 03:00 PM
TECH Addict

I think you missed my point... You're correct in saying that synthetic oils are not necessary, and that regular gear oil is adequate, but saying that is very subjective. They most definitely do not perform as well as synthetic. Most people around here are looking for more than just adequate when they're working on their cars - They're looking for the best performance possible. There are gains to be had when using synthetics and my point was that synthetic oils will outperform conventional oils in just about every category.

From Redline --> BENEFIT SUMMARY:
• Provides the greatest gear protection available
• Reduces differential and gearbox temperatures
• Increases differential and gearbox durability
• Rapid lubrication even in very cold weather
• Improves shifting in manual transmissions
• Provides improved drivetrain efficiency
• Prevents foaming even at high speeds
• Low corrosiveness reduces synchronizer wear
• Stable even at elevated temperatures
• Can be used in limited-slip and regular differentials
• Suitable for competition and street use
• Compatible with petroleum and other synthetics
• Compatible with seals designed for petroleum
• Satisfies requirements calling for API GL-5 and GL-6
• Allows extended drains in non-warranty vehicles

In the past, I've seen articles in HotRod Magazine, or others, where they dyno a car and then change all the fluids to synthetic... In the tests they always gain power due to reduced friction, temperature, etc. So, if you want better protection and a few extra usable HP while you're at it, switch to synthetic. If the additional cost is a problem, then stick with conventional.
All of the marketing fluff is lovely, but in the end you're putting oil into a 10 bolt which has the life expentency of a house fly even when unprovoked. You can put the most expensive syn in that rear and you are still going to run the same risk of blowing it up as anyone else. IMO it's kind of like a lost cause. The extra $5 a bottle does not make or break me, but, it's $5 I would rather put towards something more worthwhile...just my .02.

Furthermore, about the dyno...I dislike statements about one rear end oil causing less friction and thus creating more hp. I don't know how much time you spend around a dyno but I'm on them what seems like daily. You can lose and gain 2-3hp on back to back runs making zero changes...that's just the way the car/dyno etc fluctuates.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chainging the Fluid in my rear end...