Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

WTF... slipping LSD???

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 11:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF... slipping LSD???

alright so i went to the track yesterday.. did my burnout, both tires lighted up and spun.

staged... dropped the clutch at 4k and back left tire spun but back right tire didnt... pullled a 2.1 60'...

how the hell do you spin only 1 tire??
Old 04-26-2007, 02:28 PM
11 Second Club

come on guys... anybody have any ideas?
Old 04-26-2007, 02:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You wore out the clutches in the diff?
Old 04-26-2007, 03:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by keliente
You wore out the clutches in the diff?

is this possible? lol i have no idea how a LSD dif works
Old 04-26-2007, 04:10 PM
On The Tree

hmmmm......not real sure what kind of LSD is in the vettes. The F-bods have either the auburns with clutches or torsens with gears. The clutches wear out on the auburns and the factory torsens have a really low torque bias.

I'm guessing the vettes have the torsen in which case you had a greater difference in traction between the two tires than the factory torsen diff could overcome. Hence the 1 wheel peel.

My factory torsen would do it also on a really hard launch. Detroit trutrac fixed that though!
Old 04-26-2007, 05:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by turbotko
hmmmm......not real sure what kind of LSD is in the vettes. The F-bods have either the auburns with clutches or torsens with gears. The clutches wear out on the auburns and the factory torsens have a really low torque bias.

I'm guessing the vettes have the torsen in which case you had a greater difference in traction between the two tires than the factory torsen diff could overcome. Hence the 1 wheel peel.

My factory torsen would do it also on a really hard launch. Detroit trutrac fixed that though!

so the rear end could be fine and it could have been a freak occurance?
Old 04-27-2007, 08:51 AM
On The Tree

You may have had one tire in the groove and one out of the groove. Or maybe one tire was in a little water. You may already know this, but if you're on street tires you want to avoid the water box like the plague. The treaded tires will hold water that will drip out under your tires while you are staging causing a large traction difference between the 2 tires.

The factory diffs just can't overcome a large difference in traction between the two tires. If you had a spool, your launch may have ended you up into the wall!
Old 04-27-2007, 10:32 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by turbotko
You may have had one tire in the groove and one out of the groove. Or maybe one tire was in a little water. You may already know this, but if you're on street tires you want to avoid the water box like the plague. The treaded tires will hold water that will drip out under your tires while you are staging causing a large traction difference between the 2 tires.

The factory diffs just can't overcome a large difference in traction between the two tires. If you had a spool, your launch may have ended you up into the wall!

i was actually on MT et streets
Old 04-27-2007, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LostCauseZ06
i was actually on MT et streets

Still a treaded tire. I would still not drive THROUGH the water box. Maybe back up into the wet area If you have a problem getting them spinning dry but not into the standing water.