Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Is my rearend about to go?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 02:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my rearend about to go?

Had my car about a month now and there is a noise comeing from the back of the car like a tire roar but its not the tires maybe a bearing going bad. Its been getting louder over the past week gonna to check the oil in it tomorrow. Any advice would be great. BTW i've been driving the car pretty hard and it is a 01 with 61k should I go ahead and take the cover off and look and if so what i'm I looking for?
Old 05-16-2007, 10:57 AM
Teching In

Default same problem here, hopefully someone can help

noticed a hum in the rear, with a vibration at 70-80 mph. pulled out the axles and changed the axle bearings, little quieter but still has a vibration at 70. noticed with the rear cover off if i rotated the axle had a grinding sound coming out of the diff:o however doesnt look like the carrier bearings rotate when you spin the axle only when you spin the driveshaft, which leads me to believe replaceing the carrier bearings wont fix this. is it normal for the diff to sound like grinding noise when you rotate the axles? or is it time to upgrade before the stock 10 bolt takes a dump.
also does anybody know what size and spline count the 01 SS has is it 7.5/7.6 26 or 28 spline like a retard didnt write down the numbers off the carrier when i had it apart.
ps sorry bout jumping on your thread but sounds like you have pretty similar problem.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:06 AM
Staging Lane

Just curious...is your car lowered? The vibe might be from the pinion angle not being just right, which would eventually raise hell with the pinion bearing.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:26 PM
Teching In

Default update

stock height