Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Urgent axle help please!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Urgent axle help please!!!!

Quick rundown...strange 12 bolt, 33 spline axles, eaton hd posi. That's what I'm trying to install right now.

Problem...one of the wheel studs is broke and I'm trying to get it out to replace it (screw type). Well after opening up the diff, and removing the stud out of the way, I thought it was that simple to just push the axle in to get to the c-clip. Well the axle is not wanting to move no more then a 1/8". I cannot figure out why it's not wanting to go in any further???? It's like it's stuck on something. Anyone know if there's anything else that I need to do to get the axle to go in further? I've already took a hammer and a block of wood and it still won't go all the way in.

Any help appreciated please. I'm stuck on what to do.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought those rears came with c clip eliminators??
Old 05-16-2007, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If so...how do I get the axel to push in?
Old 05-16-2007, 09:03 PM
wrencher

It should have the C-clip eliminator on it. You have to remove the 4 bolts at the axle flange/backing plate & the whole thing will come out then.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:45 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty sure the Strange doesn't have c-clips....
Old 05-16-2007, 11:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If that's the case, it'll have to wait until tomorrow. My car is over at my dad's garage on the lift still. Thanks for the help guys. We were hoping that we wouldn't have to take out the 4 little springs inside the differential to get the axles to come out (c-clips)

Knowing now that that's not the case, I'm pretty sure I can figure it out from here.

Once again, thanks for the help.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:19 PM
11 Second Club

Moser 12 bolts dont have C clips either, correct?
Old 05-17-2007, 09:23 AM
On The Tree

The Strange doesn't have c-clips. I just took my axels out last night and didn't even take off the diff. cover. You have to remove the 4 7/16 bolts holding the backing plate to the axel tube. Then give it a good pull and the axel should move out. Remember to put locktite on the 4 bolts when putting them back in and torque to about 25-35 ft. lbs.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks...yea I just got the axle out this morning. What really pisses me off is that this is a lot of trouble trying to replace this ******* stud. I have to now have a shop press the bearing off, get the speed gear pressed off just to get to the stud. And of course no one caries these studs so now I have to wait another day to get the studs in.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JakeY2KZ
Thanks...yea I just got the axle out this morning. What really pisses me off is that this is a lot of trouble trying to replace this ******* stud. I have to now have a shop press the bearing off, get the speed gear pressed off just to get to the stud. And of course no one caries these studs so now I have to wait another day to get the studs in.

AH, Just the usual GM woes

Good luck
Old 05-18-2007, 10:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JakeY2KZ
Exact same thing I'm dealing with. I'm installing ARP 3" studs in my axels because I busted 3 of them. So, got the studs, got the axels out, and what do you know, have to have the bearing pressed off, busted the seal and bearing doing it, then had to get the reluctor wheel off just to get the studs out. And to get the reluctor wheel off we had to cut 3 of the bolt heads off to get the press able to grab any of it to take it off. So, had I called Strange 1 hr earlier I could have had them overnight new bearings to me, but it was too late and I just had them do regular shipping. So hopefully I'll be at the track next thursday.