Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

question for folks with lockers

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default question for folks with lockers

I've finally been able to put a few miles on my car since my 9" install(3.90 gears/detroit locker), and since i've had such a bitch of a time getting the suspension(mostly the chassis mounted t/a) and moser to co-exist in an orderly fashion, i'm wondering what noises are normal and what are possible problems. the first noise is a loud clunk and jerk when going into reverse. the second is a similar clunk and jerk when giving it a very little bit of gas before getting straight out of a turn(doesn't happen every time). i'm not taling about the clicking and clacking through the turn, but an actual thud that is pretty loud and easily felt....i'm hoping this is normal locker behavior, and that my suspension isn't binding. any thoughts from guys experienced with lockers are appreciated.

-josh
Old 05-21-2007, 08:51 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its normal
Old 05-21-2007, 08:53 AM
TECH Junkie

that sounds about right... now if it did it all the time, and not just after turns, then it might be something odd.

but yea.. lockers are loud clunky things.... but you can still pull into the parking space quicker then a spooled car.. lol
Old 05-21-2007, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys....after i posted this i did a little more reading and realized that the new lcas i got with rod ends are surely contributing to the noise as well.

-josh
Old 05-21-2007, 12:31 PM
Internet Mechanic

rod ends = clank, clank, clank, "sounds like broken", clank, BANG