Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Huge Movement

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 05:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Huge Movement

so i got my 12 about 2 weeks ago, and it all seemed fine but then i started noticing a lot of clanky noise from the driveshaft/rearend, so i take it to a shop and when its not even in gear, they could turn the driveshaft themselves by at least a half inch, so there is A LOT of play inside the differential. anyone have this problem? wheres bob from epp when u need him
Old 05-23-2007, 08:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It always seems like a lot of play when you grab it by the driveshaft, however it still may measure fine. The only way to really find out is to pull off the cover and check the backlash that way if you think it is a problem.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

theres no play going back and forth, i can grab it and spin it by hand at least a half inch, plus there is a lot of loud clunk noises going on
Old 05-24-2007, 04:40 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Question

Originally Posted by Ws6 Love
so i got my 12 about 2 weeks ago, and it all seemed fine but then i started noticing a lot of clanky noise from the driveshaft/rearend, so i take it to a shop and when its not even in gear, they could turn the driveshaft themselves by at least a half inch, so there is A LOT of play inside the differential. anyone have this problem? wheres bob from epp when u need him
I'm here! ... lol

As has been mentioned, there will indeed seem like a lot of play when you twist the driveshaft. You won't know for sure if it is excessive unless you do remove the cover and check the backlash. First, check to see if your four torque arm bolts are still tight, as I suspect that is where your clunking is coming from. Mine did that when the bolts loosened up. Bob
Old 05-24-2007, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

On my spohn torque arm, I can go over all the bolts on that entire thing, and crank em down, but after a few weeks I get a clunk back too. Its only if I get off the gas then back on it real fast.

Its not that anything came "loose"... just things are shifting alittle. Ive learned to live with it and I just recheck the bolts every so often.

And what everyone else said about the DS maknig it seem like it has too much play is accurate.

Justin
Old 05-24-2007, 06:55 PM
Staging Lane

yeah the bolts came loose a lil and then tightened them and it helped but there is still a slight clunk noise, im just kinda afraid to drive it now cuz it might explode on me
Old 05-25-2007, 04:59 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Question

Originally Posted by Ws6 Love
yeah the bolts came loose a lil and then tightened them and it helped but there is still a slight clunk noise, im just kinda afraid to drive it now cuz it might explode on me
Make sure your U Joints are in good shape. When do you hear this clucking noise? If you rapidly get on and off the gas, and hear it, it is probably normal. Bob