Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Don't give me any crap for a 10-bolt question

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 08:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Don't give me any crap for a 10-bolt question

OK, here it is. My '02 T/A is going to get a D1SC kit with full headers and exhaust. I am also looking into swaping the auto for a M6. The factory torsen is making alot no clunking noise at deceleration. I am going to have to change the gears anyway for the M6 since the factory gears are 2.73. I have some leftover parts from my Formula's 10-bolt like Richmond 3.42 gears and a girdle. I am looking at either the Auburn Limited Slip or the Detriot Locker (yes, they make one for the 10-bolt). This car is going to see very little drag racing and not get any slicks or sticky DRs, but I hate the occational one-wheel wonder I get with the Torsen diff. And I don't want to get a new rearend for this car just yet either. So which would you guys recommend and keep in mind I don't want to put too much more money in this 10-bolt.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe a tru-trac for the 10-bolt? The torsen T2-R is a great diff too, I've ran it for 5 years now.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would choose the tru-trac. It is all gear driven, and will lock when the go-pedal is pushed.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an auburn racers differential on order, I was going to try a tru-trac but they are on backorder + they only have a bias ratio of 3.0 which isn't much better than a stock torsen.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:25 AM
11 Second Club

I was trying to keep away from gear-type diffs. I know about the locker, but I thought the Auburn was clutch-type.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
I have an auburn racers differential on order, I was going to try a tru-trac but they are on backorder + they only have a bias ratio of 3.0 which isn't much better than a stock torsen.
The butt-o-meter says that my tru-trac has a much higher bias than the stock torsen......but I don't know the actual numbers. I know I always always spin both tires with the tru-trac. The stock torsen you never knew if it was gonna fishtail or just do a 1 wheel peel. I can also dead hook at the track with the trutrac.......the torsen would spin even with both tires getting torque.

I personally love my trutrac and wouldn't run anything else in my 10 bolt, especially for the price. I got mine for $350 from a huge mail-order vendor who's name means the peak of a mountain hehehe.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by turbotko
The butt-o-meter says that my tru-trac has a much higher bias than the stock torsen......but I don't know the actual numbers. I know I always always spin both tires with the tru-trac. The stock torsen you never knew if it was gonna fishtail or just do a 1 wheel peel. I can also dead hook at the track with the trutrac.......the torsen would spin even with both tires getting torque.

I personally love my trutrac and wouldn't run anything else in my 10 bolt, especially for the price. I got mine for $350 from a huge mail-order vendor who's name means the peak of a mountain hehehe.
Got a part number?
Old 05-28-2007, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

actually, i love the 10 bolts. if you rebuild them with good internals, they are strong. i've got a 85 z28 (in sig.) with a 383/400 and 3:73 gears. the tranny and rear have outlasted the engine so far twice lol. i put in a non limited slip rear for straight launches. beefer axles. auburns were an SS option. so choose anything but the one wheel wonders.