Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear end howl on Decel--am I getting screwed by the dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear end howl on Decel--I did get screwed by the dealer--Fixed thanks to Scott@DLS!!

Ok,

So I've had the car for a month or so ~90K on the clock, all is pretty much well.

I take the car in to the stealership for service on the leaking rear pinion seal and figure have them fix that and give the diff the once over. $350 later (I think that in included fuel filter and some other stuff) its done. Fast forward to now --2-3 weeks and 300 miles later--bad decel howl on rear end esp 35mph and under. It was a bit whiny before, but this time is LOUD, louder than the exhaust/radio.

So I take it back and they tell me now, that the pinion bearings are shot and need to be replace to the tune of $1100.

So other than "Never take the car to the dealership" (Where I may point out I haven't had any issues in years)...

1. Could they have screwed up the Pinion Seal replacement and somehow fubar'd the bearings? I am guessing preload?!

2. That cost ($300 parts/$800 labor) seems high and they aren't even replacing ring gear. They said they have to take apart the axle and such. Seems like I could just get a whole new assembly for not much more. I really don't wanna dump $2k+labor into a 12 bolt yet..

3. Any better shops in SE Michigan (Downriver area) that could set up better? Livernois maybe?

EDIT:

Yes Dealer, WAY over tightened... So I highly don't ever recommended doing business with Rowan Pontiac Southgate, MI.
Edit again 3/08: The Service Manager there has now been replaced--I would imagine the level of customer service there will improve.....

I *DO* highly recommend Scott@Drivelinesolutions. Got me all fixed up quickly and for a good price. I even decided to swap the 3.23s for some 3.73s...
EDIT again 3/08: Scotts work flawless, still going strong!

Last edited by johnh; 03-22-2008 at 07:55 AM.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Do NOT let them dick you around on this. The pinion bearings are shot because they most likely tightened the pinion nut down too far when they did the seal. They messed it up. Now they are just trying to blame it on something else so they don't have to foot the bill. Screw that!

2. That's a lot of money for labor even for a freaking dealership. Typically it's $90/hr and they should only bill about 5-6 hours MAX for a rear end rebuild. Yes they do have to tear it apart but no reason they should bill a jillion hours labor for it. Parts are way out of line too. If you are just replacing bearings and not gears you can get them for $100 for ALL of the bearings in the rear end.

3. Sorry can't recommend anyone there, not in the area.

If I were you I would go back and raise hell at the dealership since this is their fault. Take it up with the service manager. If all else fails, take it to a performance shop and upgrade to some 3.73's while you're at it...labor for a rear end rebuild should be $250-$400 plus parts.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

Thanks...kinda what I had thought from reading.

I did find Scott from Driveline Solutions on here and sent him and email...maybe he can hook me up with some 3.73s..
Old 06-11-2007, 07:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hhhhhh

Last edited by HFLDtA; 03-02-2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They definitely overtightened the pinion nut.

90 bucks an hour...the chevy dealership i work at here in St. Louis is up to $140 an hour labor!!!!
Old 06-12-2007, 11:41 AM
On The Tree

Well this sad story continues. I did talk to the tech and he seemed like he knew his stuff and he swears he didn't over tighten (he was one of those older guys). He told me he told the Service guy the bearing was bad two weeks ago...great.

Worse yet, I bring it to the service manager's attention to get them to "work with me". He first told me "Make it fast I am really busy". I explained it to him and he wasn't the least bit understanding or sympathetic. He offered to take off the cost of the pinion seal from two weeks ago from the $1100. I told him that wasn't good enough as his "estimate" was way high. He literally threw the papers at me and said have a nice day.

BTW It was 7.5 hrs labor @ $93. Plus parts for the difference. Even though the tech's page said 7 hrs....

So more of less I am screwed.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ALL I GOTTA SAY IS.....go to DLS, DriveLine Solutions in Roseville. They're AWESOME, and it won't cost you nearly that much to get fixed what you need fixed. I'd suggest calling them up, and telling them of your problem, and then letting them handle it, they are awesome.

Best Regards,
Adrian
Old 06-12-2007, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

Already left a message for them....waiting for them to call me back...
Old 06-12-2007, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drop a complaint into the BBB... and let it be known.

Ill totally second everything that has been said. Kel nailed it... dont let them screw you over on this. If the tech knew the bearing was bad two weeks ago... then why were you not told about it again ?? Oh yeah, you were not.

Tell them lies... like you are gonna get your attorney, and your attourney's attourney and everyone else that has ever filed a complaint with the BBB that you are going to form a class action lawsuit. Then throw in statements like, "managerial incompetence" from the lack of information concerning the bad bearing two weeks ago.

I used to get all kinds of people calling to ask if the dealer's quote of $1100+ was right. Well... that is actually subjective. They are quoting "worst case senario" and figuring that they will replace everything in the Diff. As soon as they got me the car (and at times I would go to the dealer to see it for myself) I could and would give them the real answers they were looking for. When they got my quote, normally, it would be about half of what the dealer quoted... and with myself using better parts ta'boot.

I never felt too bad... after awhile, the dealerships would just send me all their work. But $1100... uhm, no.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

Well I have rescued my bird from the evil dealership....its off to Scott at DLS very soon! Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Rear end howl on Decel--am I getting screwed by the dealer?