Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Can you rebuild a Eaton HD in a 12 bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 02:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you rebuild a Eaton HD in a 12 bolt?

Welp a couple of 1.5 60's and about 10K miles over 3 years and I guess my Eaton is going away. No big shocker, seems everyones eaton doesn't last to long. Probably should go Truetrack but I don't feel like piling money into a new set of gears and a new diff this season anymore since my cousin can rebuild it for cost.

Took it to my cousins shop and put it on the hoist and it only holds 45lbs of touque, he thinks it should be like a 100. Noticed it at the track also when one tire was spinning and the other was barley spinning in the water box. Doesn't seem to want to hook on the street as it once did either.

Where do we find the parts to rebuild this diff? What is the better kit the steel or ??

Thanks

Last edited by speedo; 06-15-2007 at 02:28 AM.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your lucky you didn't buy a trutrac or it would probably be broken like mine.
If internals are same as hd eaton in strange diff techs at strange say carbon with 800 pound preload is the way to go.

Should be under 100.00 in parts to rebuild so be happy.

John
Old 06-15-2007, 06:44 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a friend just have had his eaton done, works like a champ.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedo
Welp a couple of 1.5 60's and about 10K miles over 3 years and I guess my Eaton is going away. No big shocker, seems everyones eaton doesn't last to long. Probably should go Truetrack but I don't feel like piling money into a new set of gears and a new diff this season anymore since my cousin can rebuild it for cost.

Took it to my cousins shop and put it on the hoist and it only holds 45lbs of touque, he thinks it should be like a 100. Noticed it at the track also when one tire was spinning and the other was barley spinning in the water box. Doesn't seem to want to hook on the street as it once did either.

Where do we find the parts to rebuild this diff? What is the better kit the steel or ??

Thanks
The best place for good aftermarket re-build parts (not discounting the venders here) is: http://www.tomsdifferentials.com/tomp.htm

Tom is the only one that offers a specially heat treated spider gear set. He also stocks the 18 plate solid steel clutch pack sets... as well as offering different pre-load packs.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:27 PM
wrencher

I have rebuilt them before, just up the spring, they are fun to get in there.
Next time at the track dont be nice just stand on it & get them spinning on kill.
It will help from hurting it again.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:10 PM
10 Second Moderator

Originally Posted by wrencher
I have rebuilt them before, just up the spring, they are fun to get in there.
Next time at the track dont be nice just stand on it & get them spinning on kill.
It will help from hurting it again.
Or throw a spool in it and forget about it...
Old 06-15-2007, 11:55 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Torkman15
Or throw a spool in it and forget about it...
Spool is the way to go, but I think we will rebuild it a couple times first. I drive it more on the street only make it to the track a handfull of times a year.

I think the way my car hooks on the street killed the disks.

Thanks for the advice guys.... Will have to get ahold of eaton and see what they say, but will probably look into that disk kit mentioned above, I checked with a couple of board sponsers and they all said to contact Eaton one told me to go to Napa to get the parts...? So I think that link is ok for the upgraded disks.

First time rebuiding a diff so we will find out the hard way.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:19 AM
10 Second Moderator

I really wish rebuilding was all my Eaton HD needed to go back in. I broke gears and bent the collar that the bearing pushes onto on the gear flange side. Now the bearing just falls off. It prolly has 200 miles on it...