Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Yet another TA rear-end cover question

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 07:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another TA rear-end cover question

I have seen dozens of them when I did a search, so I'm sorry to start another thread... So, call me an idiot, but when someone is selling a cover *with the stud kit*.... what exactly is the *stud kit?* If I see someone else selling the cover and he says "comes with all the mounting hardware" -- is the mounting hardware the same as the stud kit?

And, while we're at it, here's another question... At very low speeds (like when I pull into a parking space or my driveway), I hear a low pitch wobbling noise from the rear. I know our rears make noises (our cars' rears that is), so I am not too too concerned. The car drives just fine at low and at high speeds, but I was going to open up the diff and replace the oil. I thought that while I was at it, I may as well throw out the old cover and just get myself a TA one. Does my reasoning seem logical?

Last edited by flymybird; 06-17-2007 at 07:34 AM.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

the covers dont do anything but reinforce.... really only need one if you are running gobs of power... which our rears wont handle anyhow....
Old 06-17-2007, 10:14 AM
Launching!

A stud kit is two bolts that add support to the main caps (I think they're called main caps). They are not part of the mounting hardware. I'd get it for an auto but not a manual.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Wallywall
A stud kit is two bolts that add support to the main caps (I think they're called main caps). They are not part of the mounting hardware. I'd get it for an auto but not a manual.
Why not for a manual?
Old 06-18-2007, 03:00 PM
Launching!

Waste of money. More power hits the rear than in an auto so it's bound to break. A4's on the other hand, suck up a lot of power which helps lessen the stress. There's a guy in town here pushing 500+ on his stock 10 bolt w/ an A4.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:53 PM
12 Second Club

I've seen stock 10 bolts hold up for years on a stock rear in 500+ hp turbo cars running low 11's also. I have made 300 passes in my stock 10 bolt(I did add 3:42 gears a few years ago).. But I am only running mid 12's and I don't get crazy on the launch, plus I am only sitting at just over 340 rwhp(3400 stall converter) and using nittos. The wobbling noise may not even be something the T/A could help since...sound to me like a u joint or ?. I am getting a T/A cover, but not so much for strength...I have heard from some people that it helped with whine, plus makes changing the oil easier.

Last edited by rotwiler; 06-19-2007 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:32 PM
On The Tree

Well I know the T/A cover won't help with the noise, I just thought that since I'm going to be replacing the fluid, why not replace the cover if it will help me in the long run... That way I won't have to f. with it twice if I decide to change the cover later on... The noise is kinda getting to me though. Can't wait till I get to change the oil to see if it will at all help...
Old 06-19-2007, 11:33 AM
12 Second Club

I seen someone the other day post that the T/A helped with gear noise...I used Royal Purple last few times I changed out my fluid...sound was a little better for a few months then built back up.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rotwiler
I seen someone the other day post that the T/A helped with gear noise...I used Royal Purple last few times I changed out my fluid...sound was a little better for a few months then built back up.
Last few times? How often does it NEED to be changed?
Old 06-21-2007, 01:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, the stud kit is a set of studs and nuts for the diff bearing caps. Theyre stronger than the stock bolts are.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

This guy says you can buy the two bolts at a hardware store for $5 instead of $20... http://www.thirdgen.org/beefinguprear
Old 06-21-2007, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flymybird
This guy says you can buy the two bolts at a hardware store for $5 instead of $20... http://www.thirdgen.org/beefinguprear
Sure. You can also reuse the stockers. But the studs are the strongest.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:39 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by flymybird
Last few times? How often does it NEED to be changed?
I have made 300+ passes down the track and better safe than sorry. I normally just change it once a year. I think GM says every 20k, not for sure though. I've always over maintaned my cars..even with mobile 1 oil, I change it at around 4k miles, even though it can go longer. My car sits alot and condensation etc, to me it just makes me feel better and may even make the car happy, so far never 1 issue since new(not even a stupid thing like window motor).
Old 07-06-2007, 10:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wallywall

I am not sure he is talking about what you are talking about.

A stud kit is for the main caps, and they secure the main carrier bearing caps to the housing. They replace the factory bolts inside the housing. Those get pushed on when you launch. So holding them on there better is good.

A girdle usually has a pair of bolts with a set screw-like configuration to actually snug up on the back of the the main caps, and are adjusted from the outside. This can be in addition to any potential main cap stud kit. They are designed to address the same problem but do it differently. You do not need a main cap stud kit to do a girdle, and you do not need a girdle to do a stud kit.

However - you should check the clearances on the girdle you choose if you ARE going to do studs as well; I know there have been several people here that have run into clearance problems when they did both, when a girdle was not machined with the extra length of the studs in mind.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got main cap studs when I did mine. The TA rear-end girdle will have the main cap support studs that go thru the cover.
You just have to ask and make sure with each case, because some people get sconfused or just really don't know how to word things when they are selling it.