Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

whining noise coming from stock rearend...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 10:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whining noise coming from stock rearend...

hey guys i stopped home to pick up my camaro SS from my brother the ohter day and i notice that it has a loud whining sound coming from the rearend that only happends when im driving or decelerating but when i push the clutch in it stops...i think its the rearend fluid..but what else could this be...there is no clunking or grinding..but its just a loud whining sound..i thought maybe replace the rearend fluids...
Old 06-20-2007, 03:52 PM
10 Second Club

how loud is it?? Mine whines and it only has 14,000 miles on it and only been to the track twice. But it has whined every since i bought it in october 06 with 8,000 on it. So i'm guessing there is probably nothing wrong with it, but check the dope just to make sure its ok.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

i thought mine was the rear end as well too and it is a similar problem. the dealer couldn't figure it out either. they completely rebuilt my rear end under ext warranty and it still makes the damn noise. their guess is that its something in the trans. i did the LS7 clutch along with new bearings and everything too at the same time they did the rear end so it MUST be something in the trans other than a pilot or t/o bearing.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:09 PM
Teching In

i got the fluids replaced today..it didnt do much..its somewhat loud..but not rough..there is no clunking or grinding when i shift or accelerate..so im wondering if its my Aluminum Driveshaft...maybe unbalanced and its making that vibrating whining sound...it does it all the time until i push the clutch in...