Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Loud metallic bang sound from new 9" w/Detroit Locker.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 06:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs down Loud metallic bang sound from new 9" w/Detroit Locker.

Ok guys so I installed a Moser 9" with 4.11's and a Detroit locker(31 spline). I was supposed to get a tru trac but there was a mix up somewhere and got a locker instead. So no big deal, I can deal with the noises and what not. But this thing is absolutely rediculous.

Fist thing is when I'm turning and giving it gas it will make the usual clicking noises that a locker will make, but every so often it will make a god awful metallic banging sound. Its not the drive shaft hitting the exhaust, or the T/A hitting the body. It is definately coming from the left side somewhere. Also taking off slowly on flat straight ground it will make these same sounds. Now I know what a locker sounds like, and acts like, this thing is definately not acting right.

It is almost like a broke axle or somthing. Has anyone else had problems with the detroit like this? What exactly is there in there to break? Springs maybe? I'm confused. I havent pulled the 3rd yet, will be doing that sometime this week. Just trying to get some insight from guys with a detroit locker...sorry for the long post, thanks!
Old 06-26-2007, 03:32 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats normal . I got it also always had it in every locker I 've had.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:25 AM
TECH Addict

Lik I said earlier....I have had lockers and this is not normal, by no means.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would call up whoever you got this rear end from.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:56 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blk00ss
Lik I said earlier....I have had lockers and this is not normal, by no means.
Not to get in a flame with you but I have been running lockers for some 22years now . Some do it more than others some not at all.
What is happening is that the dog clutch is not releasing smoothly from spider and center cam assembly for what ever reason when turn slightly or hard turning. This will also happen from a stop if the dog clutch is not engaged into the spider and center cam assembly prior to moving forward. This noise will be amplified due to all the clearance that is built into the locker for proper operation. If you got the owners manual you can troubleshoot it prior to disassembly. If not you can download it from Eaton.

If it is doing it all the time then you probably do have a concern.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok guys so I installed a Moser 9" with 4.11's and a Detroit locker(31 spline). I was supposed to get a tru trac but there was a mix up somewhere and got a locker instead. So no big deal, I can deal with the noises and what not. But this thing is absolutely rediculous.

Fist thing is when I'm turning and giving it gas it will make the usual clicking noises that a locker will make, but every so often it will make a god awful metallic banging sound. Its not the drive shaft hitting the exhaust, or the T/A hitting the body. It is definately coming from the left side somewhere. Also taking off slowly on flat straight ground it will make these same sounds. Now I know what a locker sounds like, and acts like, this thing is definately not acting right.

It is almost like a broke axle or somthing. Has anyone else had problems with the detroit like this? What exactly is there in there to break? Springs maybe? I'm confused. I havent pulled the 3rd yet, will be doing that sometime this week. Just trying to get some insight from guys with a detroit locker...sorry for the long post, thanks!
I can't speak from experience (yet) but all that sounds normal for a locker. Maybe a look at the owners manual will help. (There's some trouble shooting info in there.)

http://www.eatonperformance.com/PDFs...r%20Manual.pdf
Old 06-26-2007, 12:23 PM

yup this is why i hate my locker, and a tru trak is on its way
Old 06-26-2007, 07:41 PM
TECH Addict

Well if it is always going to be this lud I am going to sale it and buy a tru trac like planned originally! Anyone in the market for a slightly used Detroit locker!!!???? HEHE
Old 06-26-2007, 10:34 PM
TECH Resident

Well if it is always going to be this lud I am going to sale it and buy a tru trac like planned originally! Anyone in the market for a slightly used Detroit locker!!!???? HEHE
how much you want?
Old 06-26-2007, 11:36 PM
11 Second Club

I love my locker. It does however, not have the frendliest street manners but is sure nice on 5k clutch dumps. Not too much noise from mine...
Old 06-26-2007, 11:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they all sound like tanks....
Old 06-27-2007, 06:08 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by styoung
how much you want?
I would like to get enough to buy a tru trac. this thing has hardly 200 miles on it.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:41 PM
TECH Resident

I would like to get enough to buy a tru trac. this thing has hardly 200 miles on it.
in that case ill buy myself a truetracs, i thought you would hate it enough to give me a screaming deal
Old 06-27-2007, 07:14 PM
10 Second Moderator

My car makes noises like you described (locker banging in light turn or tight turn) and I have a spool. Since I have a spool said noise happens even going straight. Nothing loose, nothing broken, everything solid mounted, everything set on kill...
Old 06-28-2007, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

Do you have any ide why it would make noises going straight?
Old 12-08-2010, 08:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Mine does this tank sound as well. For example, when the rear is in the air or on blocks and I spin one tire or wheel, it will rotate just a bit then it hit or catch something that sounds like a metal thud and it locked and will not move anymore.

Also when I put the car in gear, it will make a thud or bang. It has done that since day one out of the box.

My guess is it is not perfectly lined up inside and it catches or releases.

I saw a post where Bob said that he did a launch at the track without warming the tires, when he lauchned the locker broke. I guess it was off just a bit and not locked.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:45 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro Junky

I saw a post where Bob said that he did a launch at the track without warming the tires, when he lauchned the locker broke. I guess it was off just a bit and not locked.
It was a GTO that we had at the old shop installed a Moser fabricated nine inch, along with a torque arm, lower control arms, etc. We took it to the LSX Shootout two years ago and Brent did the driving. He heated up the tires and pulled up to the line, and apparently the locker wasn't engaged because when he went to launch the car it broke the pinion on the starting line. It didn't hurt the PST driveshaft or anything else, just snapped the pinion off. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Quick Reply: Loud metallic bang sound from new 9" w/Detroit Locker.