Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Break in with moser gears as simple as 3min on the jack stands?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 07:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Break in with moser gears as simple as 3min on the jack stands?

The moser 3.73s I just put in my strange 12 bolt spool are already broke in, at least that is all the moser break in directions say? It says for drag race just let the car run at 10mph for 2-3min on the jack stands and then let cool, then race. That was easy enough but why does everyone talk about these complicated break in procedures?
Old 06-27-2007, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thats a good question... I guess if their directions say that... keep them, and if you blow it up on your first run take it back
Old 06-27-2007, 09:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's all that I did, and mine was fine.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:55 AM
10 Second Club

Sweet, I can't wait to go beat on it
Old 06-27-2007, 10:45 PM
10 Second Moderator

I think thats only for Pro Gears not street gears. I grenaded a 4.56 Richmond street set on the third pass. My pro gears were warm them then hit the track.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Will you ever drive it on the street ?? If so... I would do a full break in.

I dont quiet understand your comment about the gears already being broken in. Were they previously run or did you just read that from some literature ?? If the gear set is new... they havent been broken in.

Honestly, its a crap's shoot. If you absolutely dont care about noise (specifically if its driven on the street) then I'd say go for it. But if not... I would advise you differently.

The proper break in effects not only the gear set, but the differential fluid as well.

Roll the dice...
Old 06-28-2007, 08:15 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by chicane
Will you ever drive it on the street ?? If so... I would do a full break in.

I dont quiet understand your comment about the gears already being broken in. Were they previously run or did you just read that from some literature ?? If the gear set is new... they havent been broken in.

Honestly, its a crap's shoot. If you absolutely dont care about noise (specifically if its driven on the street) then I'd say go for it. But if not... I would advise you differently.

The proper break in effects not only the gear set, but the differential fluid as well.

Roll the dice...
No, I meant I already broke them in, at least like the moser directions say. I did the 10mph for 3mins while it was on jack stands. I just had it on the street, no noise so that's a good start. I'm usually easy on it on the street so that will break them in a little more before I go to the track. I'm not going till the 7th of July so that gives me a little more time.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good to hear... the more heat cycles you perform, the better. At this point, its more for the lube than for any thing else (heat related brake down)... but the gear set will also benefit from the work hardening as well.