Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Longer driveshaft needed after 10 bolt swap??? PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 05:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Longer driveshaft needed after 10 bolt swap??? PLEASE HELP!!!

I removed my 10 bolt that had 2.73 gears and am now installing a used 10 bolt that has 3.42 gears. I have a 98 Z28 A4 and the new rear is out of a 2000 Z28 M6.

After installing the u-joint bolts it looks like the torque arm is not going to line up. It is about an inch too long now. I have raised up the jack under the rear to see if adjusting the height would help. No such luck.

So am I going crazy or do I need a longer driveshaft now or a shorter torque arm?? Thanks.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:43 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everything should be the same, something is not aligned up. Bob
Old 04-02-2008, 07:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Everything should be the same, something is not aligned up. Bob
Thanks for the reply Bob. I was able to get the torque arm bolts in, BUT the driveshaft is not fully engaged into the transmission now. It is barely in the transmission. There are about 2-3 inches at the end of the drive shaft that I thought should slide further into the transmission. Is that normal?

After installing the torque arm bolts I tried aligning the rearend different ways (further to the left, the right, up/down, etc) and sliding it forward, but it is up as far as it will go.

I am afraid to finish the new 10 bolt install and start the car because of the front of the driveshaft not being slid all the way into the tranny.

Any advice??? Thanks
Old 04-03-2008, 04:18 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The driveshaft should only have an extra .75 or so of play at the front. Two to three inches is definitely too much and you are correct in assuming something is not right. All of these rears are the same in their design, and all of the driveshafts are the same length, so something is not installed correctly. Is the rear on the ground or the rear supported when you checked the driveshaft? Bob
Old 04-03-2008, 06:30 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
The driveshaft should only have an extra .75 or so of play at the front. Two to three inches is definitely too much and you are correct in assuming something is not right. All of these rears are the same in their design, and all of the driveshafts are the same length, so something is not installed correctly. Is the rear on the ground or the rear supported when you checked the driveshaft? Bob

The rear is supported with a floor jack under the carrier. It is jacked up to what seems like a normal height. Is it possible I have the incorrect driveshaft and I just didn't notice it before with the old rear? I am afraid the front of the driveshaft is going to either A) fall out while driving or B) screw up my tailshaft on the end of the transmission.

Should I just continue on with the install of the new 10 bolt and see if installing the shocks, LCAs, etc forces the driveshaft to slide up further into the tranny? Any other ideas? Thanks.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:11 PM
12 Second Club

After bolting up the LCAs and the shocks the driveshaft now has about 2 inches of play at the front vs 3". Hopefully that will be ok. Any ideas???

Thanks.