Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana
View Poll Results: Will the 10 bolt survive ?
Should be ok.....go have fun
55.56%
Have a tow truck ready
44.44%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Asking for trouble ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Asking for trouble ?

Alright, let me first start out by saying i realize that there is no definite answer to this question. I'm just trying to get some feed back that might set my mind at ease or help me avoid a costly mistake i cant really afford right now.

I have vig3200, re-built 10bolt w/3.42 gears and TA girdle, and i will be getting some nitto dr's soon. If i take this setup to the track am i just asking for a broken rearend? or can the 10 bolt hold up to the challenge ?
Old 06-30-2007, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe and maybe not. Some people run ten bolts deep into 11s some break at stock. If your really worried make sure you dont dead hook on the nitto's. Try to spin a little off the line.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:26 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

10 bolt in an auto car can last for ever. Its us M6 guys that need the tow truck or a buddy with a trailor ready.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry, can't set your mind at ease. Might break tomorrow, might last 10 years. Nothing is definite, not sure why this question continually comes up. If it can break on stock power, then yes it can certainly break with more modifications/sticky tires.

PS if you can't afford to fix it then it is probably not a good idea to be racing right now. You know the old adage. If it's fast and cheap, it's not reliable. If it's cheap and reliable, it's not fast. And if it's fast and reliable, it ain't cheap.

Last edited by keliente; 07-01-2007 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

more then anything else on an auto i think that the stickies have the most effect....my rears got 99k miles on it, a badass transmission, 373 gears, full bolt ons...and its holding together like a champ

like craig stated theres a difference between our rears and M6s....ours already load when we get to the line.......but like the nice lady stated also....its a car part...it can break anytime....i just think the tires add more to the equation
Old 07-01-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

A4's definitely have a better shot but still...nothing is a guarantee. I have watched my friends go through this for years. They have enough money to modify the car, but not fix it when it breaks. So when their 10 bolt craps, the car ends up sitting for 2 months. Just hate to see people count on something that is not very reliable. I have had good luck with them but that doesn't mean everyone else does.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Providing your rearend is set up to spec, straight-line launching an A4 on Nitto's up to about 360/350RWTQ RWHP at the track, you should be OK. Where most near-stock vehicles break is getting on it hard when accelerating when pulling out and turning left, I.E., making a left-hand turn at an intersection ... weight distribution goes to the left-side wheel, the one that spins first. If you catch some unusually good traction on the street with DR's, turning left, you 'might' break your 10-bolt at near-stock HP ... not real likely, but, it does occasionally happen. I'd say you're OK if you launch easy and not get tempted to heat the Nitto's for more than 3-4 seconds when leaving the waterbox for your power burn.