Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Do I have an Auburn or a Torsen differential??

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 09:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do I have an Auburn or a Torsen differential??

How can I find out whether I have an Auburn or a Torsen differential? I will be getting 3.73 gears for my car soon and I wanna know. Will it make a difference when ordering gears? I know I have a 2 series carrier cuz I have 2.73 gears now.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:13 PM
TECH Resident

Drop the cover and if you see a bunch of yellow springs, it's an Auburn. I'm almost positive that Auburn's website has some pics. Google should find you some pics of both pretty quick.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:22 PM
TECH Addict

do i need to know this when ordering a set of 3.73 gears for my car?
Old 07-04-2007, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

It doesn't matter what type of carrier you have (Auburn or Torsen), it does matter if you have a 2-series or 3-series carrier though. Since you have a 2-series carrier, you'll need "thick" 3.73 gears.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:18 PM
Teching In

Default torsen auburn

if you lift one tire off the ground a torsen will be able to spin one tire free and the auburn if still working properly you will not be able to spin the tire...with out alot of force anyway.

Here are pictures if that helps you too.

from left to right in order: Auburn cone type posi next eaton locker posi clutch lock up unit, full right ... Torsen posi unit - helical worm gear unit.
Attached Thumbnails Do I have an Auburn or a Torsen differential??-auburn-posi.jpg   Do I have an Auburn or a Torsen differential??-gm-locker-torsen-posi.jpg  
Old 07-04-2007, 11:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by monzaz
if you lift one tire off the ground a torsen will be able to spin one tire free and the auburn if still working properly you will not be able to spin the tire...with out alot of force anyway.

Here are pictures if that helps you too.

from left to right in order: Auburn cone type posi next eaton locker posi clutch lock up unit, full right ... Torsen posi unit - helical worm gear unit.
and when i go to spin the tire, im guessing the car will need to be in neutral with the emergency brake off right?

Quick Reply: Do I have an Auburn or a Torsen differential??