Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

streeting a spool

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 02:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default streeting a spool

alright, heres the deal. i have a 93 camaro that puts down 400 to the wheels, and i blew out my rear this past mothers day. ive been looking around and im pretty sure i want to go with a 12 bolt, but i cant decide about using a spool vs. LSD. im obviously aware of the differences, but is there any weekend warriors that run around on a spool? i have big plans for my car in the long run and i have seen a LSD in a 12 bolt literally break in half on a LS1 with a 408 puttin down some REAL healthy numbers. So is it REALLY that much pain in the *** to street around a spool or should i still stick with an LSD since i will mainly be using this car on the street?
Old 07-08-2007, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

I have had my 9" with spool in for about a week now. I drive about 100 moles a week or more on the street. The spool is not bad on the street just a lil chirping of the tires when turning and a lil jumping of the tires sometimes when turning. It seems like the spool is pushing the car straight when turning. I say go for it if you have plans on making big power.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 88zukon36s
The spool is not bad on the street just a lil chirping of the tires when turning and a lil jumping of the tires sometimes when turning. It seems like the spool is pushing the car straight when turning.
I tried a spool on the street about 10 years ago. Seemed ok till it rained.
(off-ramp and rain = creased rear quarter)
Old 07-08-2007, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

I have a spool in my car and i don't mind it at all on the street it just hops a little on sharp turns

Like fuel man said though try and stay out of the rain with it.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:39 PM
TECH Resident

I just got mine off jackstands today after installing the Strage 12 bolt.
Back it out of the driveway real slow just trying to see if everything is ok. Turn the wheel and accelerate a bit (4K stall so it needs some gas) and holy crap awful hopping and jumping from the rear. I am like what the hell is wrong? Then I remember this rear has a spool in it.
Been so long since I rode or drove a spooled car I forgot what its like.
You do have to get used to it. Feels like the car is falling apart sometimes.

Once you get going straight or are taking wide turns then its not bad.

Always remember its back there though. Ever seen a monster truck do some of them 4 wheel 360s? the rear end will come around that quick.