Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Help! Stripped pinion threads!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 11:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Stripped pinion threads!

UH-OH!
Now Ive gone and done it.

Well, I am rebuilding my first 10 bolt and installing a set of Strange 3.73's.
When I reinstalled the pinion, I forgot to put the washer on before tightening the pinion nut up. I didnt tighten enough to press the crush sleeve down though so I took the nut back off, and tryed tapping the pinion back out of the housing to check the sleeve, I somehow messed up the first thread on the pinion and I couldnt get the damn bolt to start. Finally I thought I had it, and I grabbed the impact gun and after about 2 turns it stopped turning So, I backed it off and realized that it completely ruined the nut.

Now, I am going to go pick up a new nut at the store tommoro, but What is the best way to fix the first couple of threads on the pinion. I really hope i didnt just ruin this thing. Do you guys have any suggestions. I was just planning on getting a thread chaser and running over the end of the pinion, but i would really hate to make this any worse.

Man I feel like a real idiot.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The next time you try and tap the pinion out, put the (old) nut on it first, so you are hitting the nut, not the pinion. Otherwise it will cause the top of it to mushroom, which is why you couldn't get the nut started on it.

I guess I would try a thread chaser (do they make them that big?) and use a new nut.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:35 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

If you have a hand or better yet a bench grinder you could carefully chamfer the first few damaged threads down and then wire wheel them to clean any residual gack out.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:04 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by cam
If you have a hand or better yet a bench grinder you could carefully chamfer the first few damaged threads down and then wire wheel them to clean any residual gack out.
This is exactly what I had to do with mine. It is amazing how easily you can mess up the threads even when you are being extra careful.

Josh
Old 08-07-2007, 02:51 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

This is exactly what I had to do with mine. It is amazing how easily you can mess up the threads even when you are being extra careful.
Ya I have a box of brass and copper drifts I use for this
Old 08-07-2007, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by keliente
I guess I would try a thread chaser (do they make them that big?) and use a new nut.
Actually... they do. Snap-On makes a tool just for this issue. My problem is, I loaned mine out so I cant just rattle off its part number right now. But, it covers four thread sizes... to include the 7/8 x 14 that is used on the 7.5".

When I get back from Bonneville Ill post its part number... but it will probably be way too late then. Until then... you can use a small jewlers triangular file to reshape them by hand. That is... unless you can not find a 7/8 x 14 threading socket/tool.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:57 PM
roy
TECH Resident

Chicane
Are you talking about a thread file?
Old 08-07-2007, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes and no.

You could use either... I have just been able to find the small jewelers file more easily than actual 'thread' files... and they work just as good. Unless however, you mushroomed more than just the leader thread on the pinion. Then you will have to use a threading die.

The square threading files dont really do a whole lot but clean up the tip of the thread.

Last edited by chicane; 08-08-2007 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Clairification
Old 08-08-2007, 04:39 AM
Teching In

Well thanks guys. I will be going back out to the shop tomorrow night and hopefully I can get something figured out. I am pretty sure the first one is the worst one, but I may have got the second thread too from trying to thread the nut back on and cross threading it.

Quick Reply: Help! Stripped pinion threads!