Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

How do you install a pilot bearing in a 9-inch center section?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 12:41 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How do you install a pilot bearing in a 9-inch center section?

I'm building a 9-inch pretty much from scratch, and I'm trying to install the pilot bearing. Do I need a press to get it in, or is there some trick to it? I didn't have much luck tapping it in with a rubber mallet.

EDIT -- Here's a question about assembling the pinion:

I had the Daytona bearing pressed on the pinion at a machine shop. After I mount it in the pinion support and slide in the crush sleeve, should I also use a press to install the outer pinion bearing, or can I just put the yoke over it and tap it on with a plastic hammer?

Any tips? Thanks guys!

Last edited by trax; 09-20-2007 at 07:03 AM.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you need to throw away your rubber and plastic hammers.

The spigot bear can be installed with a standard aluminum driver and a metal hammer... like a mini sledge.

The pinion bearing can be installed by a press or by using a mini sledge and tapping it on with the yoke. You can also 'gun' it on if you have a compressor and an good impact like an IR2131.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:53 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chicane
I think you need to throw away your rubber and plastic hammers.
I'm definitely starting to realize that. This is my first time installing bearings on anything, so I've been a bit paranoid about what I can strike with conviction. Once I switched to a hammer with some mass, they both went on with a couple mild hits.

On a related note, for all the other new guys like me who are trying to fill the gaps in James Oxley's article, I found part of a Ford service manual on BroncoHQ.com with the "official" 9-inch rebuild procedure: http://broncohq.com/dmp-6677CH.html and click on "Ford 9-inch shop instructions".
Old 09-21-2007, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool beans... Im glad you got it done without issue.

Good article. I wish there was a place we could post reference articles like this so that everyone could use it without having to dig thru threads looking for this.

Quick Reply: How do you install a pilot bearing in a 9-inch center section?