Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Midwest Chassis & Performance fab 9 inch install pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 09:08 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Midwest Chassis & Performance fab 9 inch install pics

heres a few pics of the new rearend and the tunnel mounted torque arm setup. this is a bolted in setup with coil-over conversion, a backbraced housing, Strange aluminum 3rdmember with a 31 spline Truetrac diff. the torque arm crossmember setup is a custom to this vehicle due to the flowmaster 3 to 4 inch transition pipe. this car has a custom 4 inch stainless cat-back type exhaust system. the rearend has no clearance problems with the exhaust or floors. the rear anti-sway bar is bolted to the rearend... not welded. i do offer a full welded race-type antisway for the hardcore guys. a stock sway bar will bolt-up to this rearend and the brackets will be welded on the housings ordered that way, at no extra charge. this car is street driven weekly, and sees plenty of dragstrip time, as well.

notice the torque arm is straight, with no bends. some others claim their torque arm to be the strongest on the market... with bends in the compression part of the torque arm? whatever! it has no clearance problems with the tunnel, the driveshaft, or rearend yoke, so no bends needed.

Last edited by ssvert99; 11-08-2007 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 11-01-2007, 10:41 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks excellent. nothing less then I expected.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:40 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

all the suspension parts are chromemoly construction, even the torque arm. the drain plug is standard on all the rearends, as is built-in lca relocators.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:04 PM
11 Second Club

looks awesome Eric, are those your subframe connectors on that car?
Old 11-01-2007, 08:58 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What about those of us who want to run a traditional style mounting rear sway bar?
Old 11-02-2007, 12:14 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

the stock sway bar works fine, clears the housing no problem. the bracket will be part of the rearend housing and welded in place. the braced housings will have a modified version for those wanting to use the stock type sway bar. all at no extra charge.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:22 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

yes, those are my subframe connectors. they weld to the subframes wher they need to be, not the pinch weld where theres already descent strength. alot of people get mislead on these things. a bolted in "subframe connector" or jacking rail is worthless for the most part. all they do is prevent the kid at the lube rack from folding the pinch welds over under the rockers with the hoist arms. i took some off of my car that were installed before i got it. they were bolted to the car with 5 or 6 bolts off a 6 inch long plate attached to the side of the "connector". this was a 1-3/8 round tube with a 3/8 inch thick wall! what a worthless 50 pounds under the car!

on goes a set of my rectangular types and welded to the subframe inboard of the rockers. well, wouldn't you know it... what a nice place to put a set of -10 fuel hoses!
Old 11-02-2007, 10:08 PM
11 Second Club

I thought they looked like they were moved in more towards the center of the car than most sfc's. I currently have S&W's sfc kit and they actually have a crossmember bar that connects both sides together. This is also where they relocate the torque arm mounting spot much like what you did with your torque arm. But instead of just using a short bar that just uses those stock mounting holes for the torque arm their's goes from one side to the other. I don't know if it's any better but I like the idea of it. here's their website so you can see exactly what I tried to explain. www.swracecars.com
Old 11-06-2007, 11:15 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by z28misfit
I thought they looked like they were moved in more towards the center of the car than most sfc's. I currently have S&W's sfc kit and they actually have a crossmember bar that connects both sides together. This is also where they relocate the torque arm mounting spot much like what you did with your torque arm. But instead of just using a short bar that just uses those stock mounting holes for the torque arm their's goes from one side to the other. I don't know if it's any better but I like the idea of it. here's their website so you can see exactly what I tried to explain. www.swracecars.com
not a bad idea. but in my theory, a longer crossmember is just another point for flex. thats why both my setups are short crossmembers, and won't have any bolt line-up issues after installation and use.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:30 AM
Staging Lane

Looks sex! I'm dying to buy one this spring!
Old 11-06-2007, 03:21 PM
10 Second Club

so when is the 9" with 3 channel going to be ready?
Old 11-07-2007, 12:14 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

its available now!!! heres the thread...

ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=801237
Old 11-07-2007, 02:44 AM
11 Second Club

Id like to see weight comparisons from the 10 bolt, this and 12 bolt from Moser. if possible, please.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:11 AM
Staging Lane

You should add that backbrace on your website, or did I miss it? 2'' Narrowed on each side wouldn't be a problem for you to make would it?
Old 11-08-2007, 10:04 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

yea... the site needs a update. not enough hours in the day!

narrowing no problem at all. whatever your wheel openings will allow! i do offer offset bushings for the lca's and could even narrow the lca bracket on a custom application, if needed to go farther in.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

are those QA1 coilovers in the rear? If so how do you like them and it looks like they are bolted into the stock shock upper hole, have there been any issues because of this? For instance the mounting steel thickness in that area being too thin.

What kind of hints can you give someone that might get a set of these? maybe as far as setup.

Thanks
Tim
Old 11-08-2007, 10:26 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by BeemerZ28
are those QA1 coilovers in the rear? If so how do you like them and it looks like they are bolted into the stock shock upper hole, have there been any issues because of this? For instance the mounting steel thickness in that area being too thin.

What kind of hints can you give someone that might get a set of these? maybe as far as setup.

Thanks
Tim
no, i don't use QA1 at all. those are Strange shocks on that particular car. i also sell AFCO, which are probably some of the best on the market. i use a clevis on the upper mount, which doesn't affect the metal on the body. that part of the car is multiple layered steel.

as far as setup goes, every car is different and will use different adjustments. i could give you a good ballpark, but on track testing is the only way to make it right.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:40 AM
10 Second Club

do koni shocks fit with the rear ok?
Old 11-09-2007, 09:40 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

yes, most any shock combo will work with these. the shock mounts feature a reinforcement plate to accomodate coil-overs. as long as you have a through bolt or a stud mount type shock, it will work. the shock mounts are in the stock location. if you are concerned with coil-overs, all is needed is the proper spacer to make the spring clear the axle tube. these will be available upon request with the rearend.

Quick Reply: Midwest Chassis & Performance fab 9 inch install pics