Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

pinion support options?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 09:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pinion support options?

Couple questions. Daytona nodular pinion support, ball bearing style or strange w/ OR w/o races. Whats the better setup? Are their more options? I'm looking into possibly building/piecing-together a ford 9''/fab9 and I'm not too sure on what to go with here.

I've read the strange nodular iron center section is where it's at so thats what I'm leaning towards at the moment if this piece matters in the equation, I'll just buy a complete housing. Moser 35 spline axles if that helps. Another thing, is their pro-series strip only or should I just use the s-series?

On a side note I'll be using a 1350 series pinion yoke, not sure on whose gears to go with or a locker/spool/tru-trac. Their website says strange or motive gears, which is better? Any help with my questions or how to improve the possible setup is greatly appreciated. BUT I'm really more concerned with the original questions

Last edited by SSOTRUE; 11-06-2007 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:12 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

basically on the pinion support issue theres a couple ways to go.

it all depends on the kind of power you make and the type of driving the car will see.

if you want the aluminum case for the lighter weight, then i like to do the forged big bearing support and the billet yoke.

if you are under 600 rwhp and would like to save a few $ then i would go with the nodular "S" series case and a nodular daytona support.

the ball bearing support is for strip-only cars.

the pro-series nodular case is for the heavier high-hp cars. it may be the strongest case out there, but its also heavy.

the aluminum case is not recommended for dd type cars as it will prematurely wear the gear from distortion over heat cycles.

the msrp price on the daytona support and forged 1350 yoke would be 180.00
the msrp price on the forged aluminum support and the billet yoke is 245.00

so, for 65.00 you would get a much lighter, stronger pinion support and yoke.
the bearing in the forged aluminum support are easily double the size of the daytona.
theres a 140.00 difference between the nodular case and the aluminum case.

the most common setup is the "s" case and daytona support with the truetrac diff.
this assy will easily take most cars into the high 9's, low 10's reliably.

my personal street car uses the aluminum case and support, 31 spline truetrac diff. it weighs almost 3800 pounds with me in it and has been doing 1.37 60' times *footbraking* a 4l80e auto. i'll bet i see 1.33-1.35 this weekend w/ some more track time.

as far as the gear goes, i'd say stick with the Strange/US Gear, if possible. its USA made and heve been good as far as noise is concerned. if you are gonna run soft compound tires, a spool is a good choice. soft tires will not make noise during corners. a detroit locker isn't bad, either, but there are noise and performance issues with those. a spool is by far the least costly.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Incredible amount of info to say the least! I'll just pm you directly for further q's. Plus your shop is in the same town I live in anyways I just noticed

Last edited by SSOTRUE; 11-07-2007 at 07:32 AM.