Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

10 bolt Pinion bearing replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 11:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 10 bolt Pinion bearing replacement?

I have a bad pinion bearing in my stock 10 bolt, it howls pretty good and with the rear cover off I can see the front gear is slightly blue'd. The rest seems to be pretty good so if I can do it myself it may be worth-while to get some more time out of it. A local shop wants about $470 to do the job, I can get the parts for about $80.

My question is what's all involved in the job? Does the gears have to come out? I'm pretty mechanically inclined, I always do my own work but havn't ever dealt with rear differentials. Anyone have any advice?
Old 11-06-2007, 11:36 PM
12 Second Club

Nobody? Am I just a special case having mine go out?
Old 11-07-2007, 11:08 PM
10 Second Club

its pretty involved and you have to check new pinnion depth and make sure you have correct back lash when reinstalling
Old 11-08-2007, 11:13 PM
Staging Lane

Go here for a complete set of detailed instructions... http://www.keliente.com/gears.htm
Old 11-09-2007, 08:42 PM
12 Second Club

Awesome, thanks! That's a great write up.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i hope you decided not to try this. The bearing have to be pressed off and on, the rear reassembled checked for tollerances with measered taken apart reshimmed and you try again. it also requires some expensive tools.you have to shim the ring and the pinion. adding to one and taking away from the other. it is not easy.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:08 AM
12 Second Club

I did, no worries. I have a spare in storage once this one kills itself. Hopefully this one will live till I can get a better rear... Thanks for the warning though.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:54 AM
TECH Resident

Everybody makes it out as the hardest thing to do on the car, but it's fairly easy as long as you have patience and proper tools or other means of getting it done. I changed all the bearings in my rearend and yes it's a pain in the dick, but it's definately doable. Since you are only changing bearings your stock shims will still work, just make sure the bearings are FULLY seated and the same thickness as your stock ones which if you get a kit they should be the same. But yes you do have to pull your entire rearend apart, and I recommend changing your carrier bearings at the same time even they were harder to pull off. Even if you just get it apart take the parts to the shop and have them change the bearings out for you. it will be cheaper and less work. But like mentioned before you should recheck backlash and your contact pattern when done so you know for sure you won't ruin your rearend, but again if you are only doing bearings, everything should be fine, the hardest part will be torquing down that crush sleeve.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:22 PM
TECH Resident

does anybody have any info on the depth, backlash, and tolerances?

Quick Reply: 10 bolt Pinion bearing replacement?