Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Magnet inside rear Diff. cover...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 07:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnet inside rear Diff. cover...

I changed the fluid in the rear end today, and when I cleaned up the inside of the cover, the magnet came off.
I thought about just leaving it off, but since I had some RTV right there, I decided to dab a little on the back of the magnet, and put it back in place.
It seems to be OK, but I have this image in my head of it coming loose and getting caught in the Torsen and destroying it.
Think I'll be OK???
Old 11-10-2007, 11:21 PM
12 Second Club

if you were able to wipe it off it will be ok as long as you pressed it on the cover tight and the rtv isnt pushing it away from the cover.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:43 AM
12 Second Club

Ya, I thoroughly cleaned it. At first, I realized I used too much RTV cuz it oozed out a bit from behind the magnet. So I took it off, cleaned it again, and applied a very thin film of RTV. It seems like "magnetism" (it is a magnet, after all) was holding it in place quite well.

As a side note.... I didn't realize how whiny the rear end was getting. I always blames it on tire noise. After I test drove it for leaks (I did new tranny fluid and filter at the same time) the sound difference was quite noticable. And the shifts are silky smooth. Not bad for just hitting 100K miles with a stock drive train.

Quick Reply: Magnet inside rear Diff. cover...