Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

What did I mess up?

Old 11-12-2007, 08:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What did I mess up?

Hey guys,
Had some time off so I put in some new superior axles, TA diff cover with pre-load bolts and the TA stud bolts for the bearing caps, this is on a stock rear-end. Now I hear a whistle/whine coming from the rear end that increases with my speed, so...what did I mess up?
Old 11-12-2007, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You changed the oil.

No. Seriously. That is all it takes.

The only thing that would cause this would be if you were not to re-install the carrier pre-load shims as they came out when you installed the carrier cap studs. Other than that... I dont beileve that anything else you did could cause that.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:42 PM
Teching In

I did change my oil, but since I had just changed the fluid about 2 months ago, it was 1 qt new, the difference old (same brand redline 75w90).

I hadn't noticed any carrier shims coming loose, so I didn't re-seat anything there. Is that an inevitability when loosening the carrier bolts, or in my case, removing the entire bracket?

Thanks for the idea, let me know if you guys think of anything else for me to check while I'm down there. I'll post-up what I find.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Satire. Lots of satire in those first two lines.

Well... if you left the carrier pre-load shims in while you did the work to change over to studs... then I am at a loss. If you did remove them... and they didnt go back into their respective places, it would have changed the lash. And that... would lead to gear noise. But from the sounds of what you explained, I dont think you did that.

The only other thing in my mind, could... could be the different lube. Its reaching... but possible.

Did you change viscosity ?? Or go to a synthetic ??
Old 11-15-2007, 01:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

As chicane mentioned... as long as you didn't take out the ring/pinion/posi setup you shouldn't be hearing noise because of a the pre-load shims.

The posi spider gears turn on the axles so maybe the axles are just being broken in by the spider gears.

It might pay to open it up and check for any metal shavings. Hopefully they got collected by the magnet inside there and not in your diff gears.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

[QUOTE=chicane;8114650]Engrish. Lots of engrish in those first two lines.
QUOTE]

fixed

Search this Thread