Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 9" spool in rain???

Old 11-16-2007, 07:14 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Moser 9" spool in rain???

Anyone drive the cars with a spool in a rain storm??? how are they???
Also how are they on dry streets.

I am about to but a 9" 4 channel w/spool or locker. i have heared bad stuff of lockers making a hell of a racket back there???

I only drive about 2500 miles a year and the rest is on the track.

Please give me your ideas and thoughts

thanx
Old 11-16-2007, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

suicide...my limited slip was scary in the rain with 450 hp and 3.73s so i dont see how a spool could make things better
Old 11-16-2007, 08:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Detroit Locker and after it quieted down after the first 50 miles, I absolutely love it. Just put my 9" in 2 weeks ago so I am still learning it. Takes a little different driving style and it clunks every now and then but I wouldn't trade it for anything. I only put 3000 miles a year on my car and I will go to the strip on Friday nights. Good to know I have a stout unit.

As far as a spool goes, you will be wearing out tires if you do a lot of street driving and they are very dangerous when it rains. Lockers are dangerous as well but not near as bad.

I have had spools before but only for track only cars.

I am no expert but I don't think you can run a spool with abs and traction control.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a 9" with a spool and 4.33 gears have had no problems with it. I try not to drive it in the rain just because I don't like getting the car dirty, but I've had ZERO problems when I have driven in the rain. I guess to each their own.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:57 PM
10 Second Club

yeah if your getting a spool dont waist the money for the 4 channel because its not going to allow the abs to work properly
Old 11-17-2007, 05:07 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

I've driven in a downpour with a spool without any problems. A spool is not a problem in the turns if you are cautious, and a spool is not going to suddenly kick in and unsettle the tires in a corner like a limited slip can, it is more gradual. Bob
Old 11-17-2007, 06:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been very surprised by how streetable the spool has been for me...I've been in the rain and wasn't terrified, although I wouldn't make a habit of it...The bonus is that I launch true and straight at the track now...Its one less thing to worry about back there...but the abs stuff won't work...we just pulled the fuse...no big deal...

--Alan
Old 11-17-2007, 12:17 PM
10 Second Club

spool is the way to go straight ...but in the rain i've had a few eye opening moments !!! so no more rain
Old 11-19-2007, 02:38 AM
TECH Resident

Be very careful in the rain with a spool. One blip of the throttle and the wheel turned the wrong way and you will be posting on here about the fallout. I am sure I could drive in the rain with my spool AND the MT DRs but the pucker factor would be way over 10.......I would have to have anti anxiety medicine when I got home.
I drove mine today to the next town to pick up a pizza and its really no different than my old 10 bolts posi. It hops a little during tight turns, thats about it.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a spool in my car, and I drive in the rain. Its absolutely no different in the rain to me, then any limited slip differential....on street tires. Now a spool and Mickey T's DR's is not a fun combo in moderate to heavy rain/or standing water. I don't wear out tires any more quickly then I ever had with it before, if anything the tires wear more evenly. I have said it before because I have actually had a locker and spools, and the spool is FAR more drivable then a locker on the street. Spools are not perfect, I honestly didn't enjoy having a torque arm mounted to the transmission once the 9"/spool combo was installed. This was because at slow speed corners it really sent the clunks up through the tranny and into my shifter. I believe a locker would be the same way, i switched to a tunnel mounted torque arm and now I forget I have the spool sometimes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Moser 9" spool in rain???