Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 9" with or without aluminum case???

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 11:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Moser 9" with or without aluminum case???

What's your opinion on the aluminum cases Moser offers as a option with the 9" they sell? They worth the extra cash? I've heard they make more noise than the iron cases is that true? Opinions please!!!
Old 11-20-2007, 04:06 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never noticed a noise difference between the nodular iron and the aluminum cases. The alum will save you 14lbs and it looks cooler, but it is more money. It's really all up to personal preference, as the Moser alum case is plenty stout enough. Bob
Old 11-20-2007, 02:51 PM
TECH Addict

anyone else wanna chime in?
Old 11-20-2007, 03:03 PM
12 Second Club

I think Bob covered it pretty much. And most guys running the Aluminum cases are mostly track/cruise only cars. Most street useage guys run the iron section since it'll see WAY more miles & take more total abuse with the extra driving. Plus it saves money.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
I think Bob covered it pretty much. And most guys running the Aluminum cases are mostly track/cruise only cars. Most street useage guys run the iron section since it'll see WAY more miles & take more total abuse with the extra driving. Plus it saves money.
Thats precisely why I bought a Strange Pro Nodular case. I have herd the Aluminum cases are more suited to drag racing and if you put a lot of miles on your car the aluminum case wears out faster and causes premature bearing and gear wear.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
I've never noticed a noise difference between the nodular iron and the aluminum cases. The alum will save you 14lbs and it looks cooler, but it is more money. It's really all up to personal preference, as the Moser alum case is plenty stout enough. Bob

So what is the noise difference?
Is the aluminum case louder or what?
Old 11-24-2007, 11:24 PM
TECH Regular

One concern I am getting mentioned to me by the rear end experts is using the aluminum case in colder temperatures...due to the increased expansion rate of aluminum. When cold, and before the rear axle gets to operating temp range, the gear pattern is going to be off. Most racers run the car on jackstands for a bit at the track which warms up the rear axle...minimizing this issue.

At least for my TA (limited by 346 ci, boosted, on pump gas) the 3 manufacturers (Strange, Moser, Mark Williams) are unhesitatingly confident in the strength of their aluminum cases.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Awake455
One concern I am getting mentioned to me by the rear end experts is using the aluminum case in colder temperatures...due to the increased expansion rate of aluminum. When cold, and before the rear axle gets to operating temp range, the gear pattern is going to be off. Most racers run the car on jackstands for a bit at the track which warms up the rear axle...minimizing this issue.

At least for my TA (limited by 346 ci, boosted, on pump gas) the 3 manufacturers (Strange, Moser, Mark Williams) are unhesitatingly confident in the strength of their aluminum cases.
I am confident that the engineers have taken this into account by building the thing rigid as hell to minimize the issue. No offense but sounds like a tale.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:17 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

Originally Posted by wrd1972
I am confident that the engineers have taken this into account by building the thing rigid as hell to minimize the issue. No offense but sounds like a tale.
No doubt, one of the guys at Moser told me they had their nine inch with an alum case before they even had a nodular iron case. These things have been out on the market for a very long time. Bob