Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

'61 Tbird

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 01:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '61 Tbird

Hey guys. I'm restoring a '61 Tbird for a buddy of mine and it has a 9" rearend. There is no drainplug in it. If I remove the cover, will the 3rd member come out as an entire unit? Also will I have to set anything like pinion depth? Any help would be greatly appreciated guys. Thanks
Old 11-20-2007, 05:25 PM
Teching In

All I'm looking to do is drain and refill it. I've heard you can drill a hole in the bottom and put a pipe plug in it. But I REALLY don't want to do this.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should not have to do anything to the gear.. it comes out as one unit. when you re install just make sure you use a new gasket and your surfaces are clean... As far as the drain plug goes you could go that route but just clean the housing out and refill with quality oil.. being that this isnt a drag car the oil should last quite some time..
Old 11-21-2007, 03:07 PM
12 Second Club

pull the axles out take the bolt or nuts off the 3rd member and bring it down. i get under the 3rd member and bring it down on my chest but a tranny jack works pretty well. wipe off the gears and in the housing with a lint free towel, put a new gasket on or use grey stuff on the housing side and fill her back up. you dont need to do anything to the gears as long as you dont drop it on the floor.

if your good with a drill and tap once the 3rd member is out maybe drill and tap a hole on the back bottom side of the housing.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:40 PM
Teching In

Thanks alot guys. I figured it wasn't that hard but I just wanted to double check with ppl that would know more about it then me before I went ahead with it. Hopefully I can get it done tonight
Old 11-21-2007, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Its out. I had my buddy help me and we pulled the axles and 3rd member tonight. Its sitting on my garage floor covered up. I'll clean it and put everything back together either Friday or Saturday. Thanks again.