Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

How much noise should come from stock rear end?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 06:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much noise should come from stock rear end?

Hello all,

I have a 2002 Camaro SS with an automatic transmission and 40,000 miles... it's all stock.

Maybe it's just my imagination, but it seems to me that my rear end is noisier than it used to be. It's not too bad, though, and nothing that I notice with the radio on. However, with the radio off, I definitely can hear a kind of deep whirring/rotation sound coming from the rear end. Is this normal? (My stock exhaust is pretty quiet, so it is not a factor in listening to the rear end noise.)

I have been monitoring the sound for 7 or 8 months now at least, and it doesn't seem to be getting any worse. I did have a little pinion seal leak about a year ago that I had my local dealership fix, but I didn't notice the sound until quite a while after that.

I am just wondering if others hear some noise from their stock rear ends (because if everyone else's is totally quiet, then I guess something is actually wrong with mine).
Old 12-02-2007, 06:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my rear end makes allot of noise when i press the gas pedal all the way down.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:27 PM
Teching In

How about at normal "around town" driving speeds (35 - 50 mph)?
Old 12-02-2007, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well in every one of my freinds fbody including mine the stock rear end had made noise it sounded very light only at a certin throttle postions
but if your unsure you should have it checkd out by some with experince in rear diffs
i would say its probly nothing to worry about if it has noise part throttle/no throttle but at full throttle not so good
it really all depends we would have to hear it to give a good answer
Old 12-02-2007, 09:02 PM
TECH Resident

If it starts getting realy loud then watch out. Mine got alot louder than busted.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You likely have a torsen posi unit and its getting worn. Lucky you have an auto so it should be ok for a while longer. M6 cars and power shifting blow parts out of those rears with ease.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:44 PM
Staging Lane

It wouldn't hurt to change the fluid out and add 4oz of friction additive for your limited slip diff. Least this way you can inspect the rear with the cover off. There should be a magnet on your diff cover. inspect the cover if you decide to change the fluid out and look for an excess of metal shavings on there. (There will however be some small filings on the magnet due to normal wear.) Thats nothing to worry about, just clean it off. Since your rear only has 40k miles there shouldn't be a significant amount of fillings on the magnet. Take a flashlight and inspect the ring and pinion and check out the gears inside your carrier for any abnormal wear. If you don't feel you have the ability to inspect the gears out yourself i would say take tripblackls1's advice and seek someone with experience.

Im just going to finish up by saying 10bolts are temperamental all it takes is a fluid change and the rear can start making noise. Since you had your pinion seal replaced they probably swapped out your fluid since you have to drain it to change the seal out. It possible this could have caused the slight noise. perhaps they forgot to add the friction additive, and on down the road it caused the noise to start.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:00 PM
Teching In

Thanks a bunch for the advice, guys!
Old 12-03-2007, 03:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

i had my rear diff fluid changed and ever since it kinda hops when i take a turn and in reverse if i cut the wheel i hear a click =(