Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Gear Ratio vs Computer vs Speedo

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 08:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear Ratio vs Computer vs Speedo

I posted the same question in the first 'Sticky" post, but didn't know if it would get noticed. Does changing the gears such as from 2.73 to 3.73 effect computer calibration?? Can I change gears without worrying about that. And does a gear ratio change that big throw off the speedo like my old school cars, or with the electronics compensate for it?? I apologize for asking the same question twice and if it has already been asked and I didn't notice.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i do belive that changing your gears will throw your speedo off,but upon geting a tune they can fix that if you tell them you have diffent gears
as far as computer calibration what exactly do you mean?
Old 12-02-2007, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to re-flash the PCM with the new gear ratio or your spedo will be off. Going from 3:42's to 3:70's made mine read 43MPH when I was going 40.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by tripblackls1
i do belive that changing your gears will throw your speedo off,but upon geting a tune they can fix that if you tell them you have diffent gears
as far as computer calibration what exactly do you mean?
I didn't know if something like a gear change would effect how the computer may read something, because frankly I don't know squat about them. For instance, I read a post in the Wheel and Tire forum that mentioned the anti-lock brake system isn't as effective with different diameter wheel combos, such as 17s and 18s ...ect.
What do they do when you get a tune?? Is that a typical tune up that the average garage can perform, or is it something a LS1 experienced shop does??
Old 12-03-2007, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any time you change gears from one ratio to another you need to change the speedometer in the PCM via tuning software.

Any idiot with a laptop and appropriate software can change gear calibration.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by keliente
Any time you change gears from one ratio to another you need to change the speedometer in the PCM via tuning software.

Any idiot with a laptop and appropriate software can change gear calibration.
Thank you.