Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Ive got a problem and need some brainstorming.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 04:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Ive got a problem and need some brainstorming.

So here's my situation. I have a 2000 trans am stock rear end. I was driving and somehow a hole was punched into my rear end cover. it was not from the inside out but outside in. so anyways didnt really catch on to that. i drove to work and everything was fine. started her up to go home and half way home a huge whining noise came from back there. i limped her home but the whole time there was alot of clunking a grinding the entire time it hurt to drive her like that but it wasnt that far. so i put her on jack found the hole opened the cover up and no gear fluid came out meaning it ran dry. so i took a look and i dont really know much about rear ends. i know i have a torsen. well the magnet had some shavings on it (car has like 79xxx miles on it) but it had some shavings from normal driving and im sure from the abnormal driving that it just went threw. anyways i got a new cover put new fluids in with the friction stuff and test drove it. it feels fine driving it but its go a pinion leak now thats simple enough. but it still have the very bad gear whine and now it makes a horrible grinding noise when i let off the gas like its dying. it still holds up fine just the noise. the car is a m6 btw. so just wanted some input on what it could be the gears looks fine to me.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:32 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by vr4rhoads
So here's my situation. I have a 2000 trans am stock rear end. I was driving and somehow a hole was punched into my rear end cover. it was not from the inside out but outside in. so anyways didnt really catch on to that. i drove to work and everything was fine. started her up to go home and half way home a huge whining noise came from back there. i limped her home but the whole time there was alot of clunking a grinding the entire time it hurt to drive her like that but it wasnt that far. so i put her on jack found the hole opened the cover up and no gear fluid came out meaning it ran dry. so i took a look and i dont really know much about rear ends. i know i have a torsen. well the magnet had some shavings on it (car has like 79xxx miles on it) but it had some shavings from normal driving and im sure from the abnormal driving that it just went threw. anyways i got a new cover put new fluids in with the friction stuff and test drove it. it feels fine driving it but its go a pinion leak now thats simple enough. but it still have the very bad gear whine and now it makes a horrible grinding noise when i let off the gas like its dying. it still holds up fine just the noise. the car is a m6 btw. so just wanted some input on what it could be the gears looks fine to me.

The ring and pinion is burned up and the bearings are most likely where your grinding noise is coming from. Time for a new gear and master kit. Let me know if we can help as we are a New Vendor for this site....

Jeff

Jaw's Gear & Axle
Toll Free 866-922-5297
http://www.jawsgear.com
Old 12-07-2007, 08:50 PM
11 Second Club

you blew a hole in the diff cover from the inside out? Same **** happened to me with my 10 bolt. I thought it was strange too, i even drove the car home like you. One of the bolts that go around the perimeter of the ring gear some how broke, and the ring gear spinning picked it up and threw it around in there. Leaving several holes in a line on my cover. I found a sheared and mangled bolt inside it at the top left corner of the housing.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by taws6m6
you blew a hole in the diff cover from the inside out? Same **** happened to me with my 10 bolt. I thought it was strange too, i even drove the car home like you. One of the bolts that go around the perimeter of the ring gear some how broke, and the ring gear spinning picked it up and threw it around in there. Leaving several holes in a line on my cover. I found a sheared and mangled bolt inside it at the top left corner of the housing.
his was outside in. just think of it as a sign telling you to go 4.10s.