Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

12 bolt question

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 08:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12 bolt question

Ok, friend of mine wrecked his car and is selling his 12 bolt. When he got the car it already had the 12 bolt in it and the ABS light was on. It is a Moser 12 bolt with 4.10's, a spool (which will be replaced with a posi), and 33 spline axles.

I'm thinking about buying it from him because he is selling it to me cheap. But, I think the 12 bolt in his car is a 4 channel while his car and my car are both 3 channel (no traction control).

Would this explain why his ABS light was on?? If I am looking at the rear end right in front of me, what would be a easy way to tell if the rear end is a 4 channel or 3 channel??? The rear end is out of the car so it wouldn't be hard to see anything on it.

And if it is a 4 channel, what do I need to do to make it actually work in my car?
Old 12-11-2007, 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

Another question, what if I got this rear end and just did an ABS delte kit on the car??? The car is never driven in bad weather and never sees wet ground.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:21 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles/617761-converting-4-channel-3-w-pics.html

You should check this 1st, its a sticky in this forum.

If there is an exciter ring on the end of the axle between the flange and the axle housing its a 4 channel which means it has TCS/ASR.

if there isnt, look at the top of the housing, you will see a hole most times, and if there is a plug, there will be a ring inside of the hole, OR if you take the diff cover its on the left side of the diff. IF there is, then its a 3 channel ABS and no TCS/ASR.

**Note: I ordered mine originally with NO ABS or TCS/ASR, then swapped it to a 4 channel ABS/TCS, the axles needed to be machined and rings pressed on, then caliper bracket and then bearing. The cost in the end with new rings, machining and shipping is 200.00

I've driven my 94 Camaro w/o ABS and orginally came with it, it drove fine. But unsure about the newer cars.

Last edited by BlackScreaminMachine; 12-11-2007 at 09:28 AM.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:42 AM
TECH Addict

My car is a 96 and I am actually thinking that I am going to just do a ABS delete. With the cost of the rear end and the cost of the ABS delete I am still saving around a grand for the cost of a new one.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

When I had my spool installed the ABS light came on because there's no exciter ring on a spool so the system will be disabled...Since you say his car had the spool thats why the light was on...

--Alan