Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Midwest Chassis & Performance fab rearends... new pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 09:34 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 03 BUSA
Fab 9 seems overkill for what you want but either way there is alot of info in 53 pages here I would just take some time to skim thru it. All your questions have been answered in previous posts. No trying to not help just don't have mine yet and I found reading most of these posts to be very helpful.
As much as its overkill i would rather overbuild something and not worry about it. Do it one time, and dont think about it again. Plus with the 9 inch, gear changes are quick.

I would call eric, or pm him your setup, and he will let you know. I would do backbrace. Its not expensive, adds strength and looks better.

On a side note, if you price out a moser, with a aftermarket torque arm, i believe fab 9 is cheaper.

Ps you may have a little spot you have to bfh since your lowered. Its not bad. I think it might be the top part of the torque arm mount, but this would be an issue on any 9 inch. I never had to deal with it, since i had stock springs and drag shocks.

The info is in this thread somewhere, but again, eric will tell you. Call him. i have many times.

Chris

Last edited by Sideways240sx; 10-30-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eric answered every question I had on the phone. He is getting caught up so that goo news or you guys that have been waiting.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:26 PM
TECH Regular

Any new updates on this?
yeah so for some reason the package left illinois and went straight to salt lake city... why? idk the lady was wondering the same thing which leads me to suspect they f cked something up. however the lady i talked to is trying to over night the rear to me which she said will be costing her 700 dollars to do . however she didn't get aproval to do so yet.

on the other hand if they dont over night that **** to me they are going to get one hell of an earful because it sounds to me like it was their fault and ive been waiting for this thing since august it was supposed to be here last wensday now i got pushed back to monday-wensday depending on when they get it here.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sideways240sx
As much as its overkill i would rather overbuild something and not worry about it. Do it one time, and dont think about it again. Plus with the 9 inch, gear changes are quick.

I would call eric, or pm him your setup, and he will let you know. I would do backbrace. Its not expensive, adds strength and looks better.

On a side note, if you price out a moser, with a aftermarket torque arm, i believe fab 9 is cheaper.

Ps you may have a little spot you have to bfh since your lowered. Its not bad. I think it might be the top part of the torque arm mount, but this would be an issue on any 9 inch. I never had to deal with it, since i had stock springs and drag shocks.

The info is in this thread somewhere, but again, eric will tell you. Call him. i have many times.

Chris
belive me i took one look at the center section ( because that got to my house ok ) and i said.. theres no way in hell i'm breaking this thing its just massive if you want peace of mind go with eric
Old 10-31-2008, 12:08 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

so they have located it??? i called and talked to someone in customer service and gave descriptions of that package and any other info i could to help out. they were supposed to get back to me and let me know something... i have not got a call or message from them.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:24 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ski23
Hey guys, I need some info and opinions on Erics fab 9". I have a weekend warrior M6 that I wanna get in the mid- high 11`s and im done. car will get a cam package this winter if money is available after a new rear (10 bolt is done for). 1st off, is anyone running this rear in a lowered Camaro? any fitment issues? what carrier are you guys going with? iron or alum.? and what do you suggest for my more street than strip Car? what brand of gears? will I need to add a backbrace? Please PM ME with any tips, info or opinions. Thanks

Eric, Im trying to beg, borrow or steal the credit cards from the one in charge. Im gonna go over your options some more and see what I really need for my beater.

this rearend will be a great fit for you. it will work in a lowered car, but at some point too low is too low. it will easily go 1 to 1.5 inches, but may hit on bumps with people in the back seat. considering the other 9 inch setups will make contact with the driveshaft tunnel at stock ride height, this is a great setup for a bolt-in rearend.
the truetrac diff and 31 spline axles has been by far the most popular. it will hold up to 9 second cars as well as daily drivers. the aluminum center section is merely a weight issue. the aluminum setup will be close to the same weight as the stock 10 bolt, the base package nodular iron case will be about 15 pounds heavier and is rated to 850hp. i don't suggest the aluminum for dd cars, but works fine with the weekend guys.
i am currently using the Motive Performance gearsets. they seem to be the best bang for the buck and are not that noisy for a performance gear. other brand gears are available upon request.
i suggest a housing backbrace at 550-600 rwhp. the trianglated design along with the internal gusseting and weld surface area make the center of the housing extremely strong, but the width of these rearends and weight of the car is the killer for any rearend. the brace is a 150.00 option at the time of build and cannot be added later. if you are at, or ever think you may be at the 550-600 range, then i would do it for sure.

hope this helps... feel free to ask questions anytime.

Eric
Old 10-31-2008, 09:32 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ssvert99
so they have located it??? i called and talked to someone in customer service and gave descriptions of that package and any other info i could to help out. they were supposed to get back to me and let me know something... i have not got a call or message from them.
yes they have located it now they have to go through some paper work or some bs like that and then they are going to determine how it will be shipped back to me. just my luck hopfully its not damaged
Old 10-31-2008, 10:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Why isn't the aluminum section recommended for a DD?
Old 10-31-2008, 11:27 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RedRyder518
Why isn't the aluminum section recommended for a DD?
i think it had something to do with heating up faster or something... i got myself an aluminum center my cars not a daily driver but i'll be driving it alot once i get it back on the road
Old 10-31-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thumbs down

Why do you folks continue to WASTE YOUR TIME with this place!!??
Old 10-31-2008, 07:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jimmyz
Why do you folks continue to WASTE YOUR TIME with this place!!??
Care to explain?
Old 10-31-2008, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I only read the first 10 or so complaints about time lines, production this, suppliers that...and that was enough. There's a guy locally here, that's nothing but nightmares regarding this product.

Nothing personal but WTF???
Old 10-31-2008, 08:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jimmyz
I only read the first 10 or so complaints about time lines, production this, suppliers that...and that was enough. There's a guy locally here, that's nothing but nightmares regarding this product.

Nothing personal but WTF???
Looks like he is a one man show and the first 10 or so pages was when he was first getting started. Read the last 50. Sounds and looks like he makes an a+ product. Mine is shipping out next week
Old 10-31-2008, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Talking

I hear ya...thing is the "one man show" guy said the EXACT same thing you are and got this...---->

Hope you're experience is different.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:39 PM
10 Second Club

I would like to hear what happened to this guy. What exactly was his issues. To be fair you need to be more specific and not leave a big door wide open.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would like to hear what happened to this guy. What exactly was his issues. To be fair you need to be more specific and not leave a big door wide open.
Well, let me close the door for you...

I'll create an entire thread with pictures and my "after the sale" experience... needless to say it was negative....

If I had it all to do over again I would have gone with the Moser M9, no question....

Eric's motive is to sell.... that's it.... if you have any issue (which you will) after the sale his help is nill.... and he will pawn you off on each vendor that provided parts for the rearend....

I finally worked through all of my issues after a few MONTHS.... so I'm good now (but still have an ABS issue which Eric refused to help fix)... but it was painful to say the least. Midwest will NOT be my choice on the next build by any means....

Moser M9 will be my next rearend.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:46 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ATLSS
Well, let me close the door for you...

I'll create an entire thread with pictures and my "after the sale" experience... needless to say it was negative....

If I had it all to do over again I would have gone with the Moser M9, no question....

Eric's motive is to sell.... that's it.... if you have any issue (which you will) after the sale his help is nill.... and he will pawn you off on each vendor that provided parts for the rearend....

I finally worked through all of my issues after a few MONTHS.... so I'm good now (but still have an ABS issue which Eric refused to help fix)... but it was painful to say the least. Midwest will NOT be my choice on the next build by any means....

Moser M9 will be my next rearend.

I really hate to hear this but at the same time would def like to hear what you have to say about your situation and exactly what was wrong. I am anxiously awaiting my rear, hope to have it this week since I was told many times I would have it by the end of the month and that hasn't happened. I am patient but do not like to be told one thing numerous times and it not be delivered. I understand there are other vendor issues to deal with but there needs to be more communication.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

im glad hes kinda local to me. I drove and picked mine up and had no issues, lol. Sucks to hear bout the shipping issues you guys are having.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Taubr Unit
im glad hes kinda local to me. I drove and picked mine up and had no issues, lol. Sucks to hear bout the shipping issues you guys are having.
Im just glad he does not live to far away. He is only 6 hours from me so if I have any really big issues I will just show up at his shop. I thought about just picking mine up but do not have the time right now. Also another guy in my little town bought one from him and loved it! His car looks just like yours.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:52 AM
11 Second Club

Hows the gear whine for the folks that have this unit already installed? Im curious to see if there quiter then the S60.

Also would like to know of the issues with the "After sale" Support.

Quick Reply: Midwest Chassis & Performance fab rearends... new pics