Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

What gears should i go with?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 01:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What gears should i go with?

Well guys my car isnt an ls1 fbody! But i still wanted to see what opinions yall had with gears for my iroc. I really dont know what it has right now but what would be the best way to go? Its a 355 with a 700r4 with a small stall. I really wanted to go with 3.73's but dont know how high my rpms will be at highway speeds and it also has overdrive so that should help a lil bit with the rpm's and mpg.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:58 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by a-mean-89-iroc
Well guys my car isnt an ls1 fbody! But i still wanted to see what opinions yall had with gears for my iroc. I really dont know what it has right now but what would be the best way to go? Its a 355 with a 700r4 with a small stall. I really wanted to go with 3.73's but dont know how high my rpms will be at highway speeds and it also has overdrive so that should help a lil bit with the rpm's and mpg.
We have the 3.70 ratio for this car. It should be a Borg Warner 9 Bolt Rearend and 3.70 is the only aftermarket gear cut for it. In order to calculate RPM's andspeeds I needto know what yourtire size is. Let me know.

Jeff
Old 12-13-2007, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

They are 275/40/ZR17. And yes sir that is the rear end that i have in my car. So there isnt a 3.73 made for that rearend? Well its basically the same thing right? Not much of a difference? So how much do you sell these for?
Old 12-13-2007, 01:07 PM
FormerVendor

They are 275/40/ZR17. And yes sir that is the rear end that i have in my car. So there isnt a 3.73 made for that rearend? Well its basically the same thing right? Not much of a difference? So how much do you sell these for?
You can order off our website at .......

http://www.jawsgear.com/store/catalo...oducts_id=1417

3.70 and 3.73 are pretty much the same thing. A person would not be able to feel the difference between the 2 gears. Let me know if you haveany questions.

Jeff
Old 12-13-2007, 01:09 PM
TECH Addict

i was gonna recommend a 3.42 to 3.55 ratio if you were looking to save a little gas mileage but still have good acceleration
Old 12-13-2007, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

3.55's are decent my dad has em in his pickup the acceleration is pretty fair too. but he only gets about 14mpg's on a 3.9L magnum
Old 12-13-2007, 01:36 PM
FormerVendor

There are no 3.42 or 3.55 gears available for this rearend. You can only get stock used 2.73, 3.08, 3.27 or NEW 3.70. This is a GM 7.75 Borg Warner Rearend not a 7.5/7.625 diff like the late style.

Jeff
Old 12-13-2007, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

i learned something new, thanks!
Old 12-13-2007, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jawsgear
You can order off our website at .......

http://www.jawsgear.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_105_116&products_id=1417

3.70 and 3.73 are pretty much the same thing. A person would not be able to feel the difference between the 2 gears. Let me know if you haveany questions.

Jeff
What do the installation kits include? Oh and on those rearends why are both bearings different sizes? Oh and if i got axle savers (i believe thats what they are called) before doesnt that mean that i have to get new axles as well?
Old 12-14-2007, 10:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd go with the 3.70's.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:10 AM
FormerVendor

What do the installation kits include? Oh and on those rearends why are both bearings different sizes? Oh and if i got axle savers (i believe thats what they are called) before doesnt that mean that i have to get new axles as well?
Master Installation Kit: Pinion and Carrier Bearings, Pinion Seal, Pinion and Carrier Shims, Pinion Nut, Ring Gear Bolts, Crush Sleeve, Gasket, Gear Marking Compound, Loctite, and Brush.

Bearings Different size?? Which Bearings?

No axle savers for this application. It uses a bolt in style axle with a tapered wheel bearing not a flat roller bearing. I doubt your axle shafts are bad. You can just buy axle bearings and seals, they run about $100.00 for a set with 2 Bearings & 2 Seals.

Jeff
Old 12-14-2007, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

Its cuz we changed the bearings and seals because it was leaking but we had to get axle savers because the axles had the marks where the bearing had been pressed in and we couldnt run a seal there. So we had to run the axle savers so wont both inner and outter parts of the axle be worn out because of the pressed bearings?
Old 12-14-2007, 09:15 PM
FormerVendor

Its cuz we changed the bearings and seals because it was leaking but we had to get axle savers because the axles had the marks where the bearing had been pressed in and we couldnt run a seal there. So we had to run the axle savers so wont both inner and outter parts of the axle be worn out because of the pressed bearings?
?????? You should just have an outer seal that rides on the shoulder of the axle shaft prior to pressing the bearing on.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:39 AM
On The Tree

I think thats how it was but then they put the axle savers on.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

Oh another thing if i get the gears what would be the difference between all the installation kits you sell since they go up in price a good amount compared to the cheaper one?
Old 12-18-2007, 12:43 AM
FormerVendor

Oh another thing if i get the gears what would be the difference between all the installation kits you sell since they go up in price a good amount compared to the cheaper one?
Master Installation Kit: This kit uses Timken Bearings and Races along with high quality seals and small parts. Included in this kit are carrier bearings and races, pinion bearings and races, pinion seal, complete shim kit, ring gear bolts, pinion nut, crush sleeve (if applicable), oil baffles and slingers (if applicable), Thread locking compound, marking compound with brush, and gasket or sealant.

Installation Kit: This kit uses all high quality components to ensure a smooth set up. Kit includes a pinion seal, crush sleeve (if applicable), complete shim kit, pinion nut, thread locking compound, marking compound and brush.

Bearing Kit: This kit uses Timken bearings and races along with all high quality small parts. Kit includes carrier bearings and races, pinion bearings and races, pinion seal, crush sleeve (if applicable), oil baffles and slingers (if applicable), marking compound and brush.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jawsgear
Master Installation Kit: This kit uses Timken Bearings and Races along with high quality seals and small parts. Included in this kit are carrier bearings and races, pinion bearings and races, pinion seal, complete shim kit, ring gear bolts, pinion nut, crush sleeve (if applicable), oil baffles and slingers (if applicable), Thread locking compound, marking compound with brush, and gasket or sealant.

Installation Kit: This kit uses all high quality components to ensure a smooth set up. Kit includes a pinion seal, crush sleeve (if applicable), complete shim kit, pinion nut, thread locking compound, marking compound and brush.

Bearing Kit: This kit uses Timken bearings and races along with all high quality small parts. Kit includes carrier bearings and races, pinion bearings and races, pinion seal, crush sleeve (if applicable), oil baffles and slingers (if applicable), marking compound and brush.
Oh so basically the bearing kit and the installation kit make the master installation kit right? Im guessing i really need the master kit since ima need the new bearings, seals and other misc. parts right?
Old 12-19-2007, 10:50 AM
FormerVendor

Oh so basically the bearing kit and the installation kit make the master installation kit right? Im guessing i really need the master kit since ima need the new bearings, seals and other misc. parts right?
That is correct.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

Well i guess thats the one ima need when i gather the money to buy them.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:17 AM
FormerVendor

Well i guess thats the one ima need when i gather the money to buy them.
Yeah, just let me know when you are ready. Happy to help you out.

Jeff