Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Friend's 10 bolt broke

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Friend's 10 bolt broke

OK I'm helping my friend out, he's got a 00 Z28 M6. Texas Speed 233/233 cam, dumped exaust, no cats, tuned, LS6 intake, ported heads and headers. He just broke the 10 bolt, it lasted him about 2 years and who knows how long before that was the previous owner. never sees the track or slicks. We want to upgrade but not overkill... I've heard if we upgrade the gears and beef up the housing the 10 bolt will work, esp since it never sees any high RPM clutch dumps. He just moved into an apartment and doesn't have much money so we are trying to do a budget setup, which is why the beefed 10 bolt sounds appealing over 12 bolt or 9". what do ya'll think?
Old 12-13-2007, 12:27 PM
TECH Resident

gm high performance did a build up i think that cost them 700$ which included all new internals, axles, diff, ring and pinion.. an aftermarket cover, and they welded a bunch of stuff.. pretty much everything you could do and they said they expected it could handle slightly over 400 at the wheels.. Of course they didnt pay for labor.

Just get a used 12 bolt or optimally a 9in.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:04 PM
FormerVendor

First thing to find out is what broke. Maybe it was just a gear or posi. You may not have to replace everything in the differential. Pull the cover andsee what is bad and make your decesions from there. Let me know if you have any questions or need any pricing on parts.

Jeff
Old 12-17-2007, 02:54 PM
On The Tree

ok we got it apart, appearently the ring and pinion are fine, the straigt teeth next to the ring gear are a little messed up... but the real trouble is inside the carrier. i think those are the spider gears? anyone know what kind of differential is in this car? seeing as it took such a long time to go out, and wasn't the main gears i think we'll just rebuild with some hardened gears and an axle bracing kit. does anyone have a good shop in houston?
Old 12-17-2007, 03:03 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by bigburb
ok we got it apart, appearently the ring and pinion are fine, the straigt teeth next to the ring gear are a little messed up... but the real trouble is inside the carrier. i think those are the spider gears? anyone know what kind of differential is in this car? seeing as it took such a long time to go out, and wasn't the main gears i think we'll just rebuild with some hardened gears and an axle bracing kit. does anyone have a good shop in houston?
If the gears in the positraction are bad you need to replace the carrier assembly as a unit. You can go with an Aubrun or Eaton is my prefered choice. Probably reccomend doing a complete Master Timken Kit whil you are at it. Trying to save $40 is not worth it with theamound of work it is to rebuild it now. Check out our site. We have everything you will need to do the job. Thanks.

Jeff
Old 12-19-2007, 06:06 AM
On The Tree

We're also looking to change the gear ratio to 373, what brand pinion and gear kit would you recommend for our application?
Old 12-19-2007, 08:11 AM
TECH Regular

We're also looking to change the gear ratio to 373, what brand pinion and gear kit would you recommend for our application?
for the $1,000 or more dollars you will spend on the rebuild and gear swap (New posi unit, Gears, Master rebuild kit, labor, and Materials) you will be almost half way into getting a ford 9" I wouldn't waste the money on the pyle of **** 10 bolt and go strait to the 9". Rule of thumb When dealing with the 10 bolt is to upgrade not rebuild. Just my .02
Old 12-19-2007, 10:55 AM
FormerVendor

Motive Performance or Original GM is what I would reccommend. We have them listed on out website. Let me know if we can help you out.

Jeff
Old 12-20-2007, 04:22 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Jays00ss
for the $1,000 or more dollars you will spend on the rebuild and gear swap (New posi unit, Gears, Master rebuild kit, labor, and Materials) you will be almost half way into getting a ford 9" I wouldn't waste the money on the pyle of **** 10 bolt and go strait to the 9". Rule of thumb When dealing with the 10 bolt is to upgrade not rebuild. Just my .02
I agree, I have seen a lot of people waste a ton of money on their 10 bolts, only to have them break again. I'd put the money toward a nine inch also. Bob
Old 12-20-2007, 09:29 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

look at it this way. if you do what you're talking about- gear, good posi, install kit, rear cover, labor, etc. you're talking a minimum 1000. if you break the thing again, then not only have you spent that 1000, but you're gonna have to spend another 2000 minimum to get into a better rearend that won't have the same problem. now that you're at 3000, you can have the best stuff out there. my complete fabricated 9 inch setup with gear, axles, torque arm and crossmember start at 2400. thats less than you're gonna spend if you have to do it twice. and for that matter theres always people selling used 9's or 12 b's to upgrade to the newest stuff.
at this point i say find a used posi and get the thing driveable again, then start saving for a new rearend. and if it's a 3 channel car... i have those available for 9 inch.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:25 AM
FormerVendor

never sees the track or slicks. We want to upgrade but not overkill...
Just to clarify what the guy is looking for... I assume you broke a stock differential? Don't get me wrong I would love to sell you a $2500.00 9" Rearend too, but is it really necessary???????

Jeff
Old 12-20-2007, 01:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jawsgear
Just to clarify what the guy is looking for... I assume you broke a stock differential? Don't get me wrong I would love to sell you a $2500.00 9" Rearend too, but is it really necessary???????

Jeff
Look at his mods, He is well over 400 hp. Why waste his money on, Like I said, Piece of **** 10 bolt. He needs a much better rearend like the 9". He will keep dumping his money down the drain on the worst designed rear end gm ever put out with one of the highest horsepower powerplants produced.

This should not even be a issue. If he wants to play, He needs to pay. Step up to the plate and have your buddy get a 9" He will be so happy he did.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:49 AM
TECH Resident

I agree, just get the 9" and call it a day. Its more money now but less down the road and you have the security of a nice 9". Whats his dyno numbers...Id guess 435ish, a litttle more if he upgraded to a ls6 intake. I understand the saving part, but doing it once is will save in the long run and you dont have to mess with dropping the rear again.