Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear End Unit Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 06:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear End Unit Question

I just had some rear end work done at the stealership. They were suppose to replace every thing inside the housing except the posi-unit to get rid of a loud whine & was having trouble locating the culprit. Well after being in the shop for 32 days & spending over $2000.00 they called & said it was fixed.
Sure enough , it was quiet like it used to be . Next day was having the oil changed & got to lookin around the rear end while it was up on the lift & (WACKO) ! It appears they replaced the entire rear end with an old rusted used rear end that didn't look like my clean housing at all. I mean my car look almost new underneath with no leaks or anything and this thing had what looked like miles & miles of grease caked up on the front side of the housing . And it had white paint numbers that looked that those the wrecking yards put on their salvage parts for identification.There are some numbers cast into the bottom of the center section & I was wondering if that would identify the year & vehicle. Does anyone know ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:38 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER
I just had some rear end work done at the stealership. They were suppose to replace every thing inside the housing except the posi-unit to get rid of a loud whine & was having trouble locating the culprit. Well after being in the shop for 32 days & spending over $2000.00 they called & said it was fixed.
Sure enough , it was quiet like it used to be . Next day was having the oil changed & got to lookin around the rear end while it was up on the lift & (WACKO) ! It appears they replaced the entire rear end with an old rusted used rear end that didn't look like my clean housing at all. I mean my car look almost new underneath with no leaks or anything and this thing had what looked like miles & miles of grease caked up on the front side of the housing . And it had white paint numbers that looked that those the wrecking yards put on their salvage parts for identification.There are some numbers cast into the bottom of the center section & I was wondering if that would identify the year & vehicle. Does anyone know ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you have the cover off get the date code on the ring gear.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jawsgear
If you have the cover off get the date code on the ring gear.
Thanks for the come back.
No , I was wondering if the numbers cast into the outer center section on the bottom of the assy would tell me anything. Unfortunately I'm not mechanically inclined & do not have the tools nec. to remove the cover & check for that. Didn't GM used to stamp a code on the axle tube about 3" from the center section on the drivers side?
Old 12-14-2007, 07:45 PM
TECH Regular

Wow sounds like they F*d u.... i would go back and raise hell.... sometimes that whine will be from the fluid in the rear...... my buddy bought a truck and had the same problem..... we simply changed the fluid... and gave it some time to work in... and it was fine... now yer case might have been different... but for them to charge u 2000.... and put some old rusted POS under the back... is completely F*d.... ide go in there and talk to the manager... and if they got nothing good to say... ide ask for a customer service number and tell them to make sure they send u a survey about there work and ****... most dealerships do that... and they will usually try to avoid doing that with an unhappy customer...
Old 12-14-2007, 08:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chevrolet02z28
Wow sounds like they F*d u.... i would go back and raise hell.... sometimes that whine will be from the fluid in the rear...... my buddy bought a truck and had the same problem..... we simply changed the fluid... and gave it some time to work in... and it was fine... now yer case might have been different... but for them to charge u 2000.... and put some old rusted POS under the back... is completely F*d.... ide go in there and talk to the manager... and if they got nothing good to say... ide ask for a customer service number and tell them to make sure they send u a survey about there work and ****... most dealerships do that... and they will usually try to avoid doing that with an unhappy customer...

Thanks, that might be a good idea. At the very least I could vent some anger !
Old 12-14-2007, 09:19 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks for the come back.
No , I was wondering if the numbers cast into the outer center section on the bottom of the assy would tell me anything. Unfortunately I'm not mechanically inclined & do not have the tools nec. to remove the cover & check for that. Didn't GM used to stamp a code on the axle tube about 3" from the center section on the drivers side?
Yeah I understand what you were asking but Iam not sure if the casting numbers will reveal the date code of the housing??? If you do not want to take the cover off yourself might suggest taking the car in for a differential fluid change and ask the tech to give you the numbers off the ring gear while he has it opened up. Most techs will surely help you out if you explain your situation in advance. I know we would anyways.

Jeff
Old 12-14-2007, 10:57 PM
Banned

Yeah I understand what you were asking but Iam not sure if the casting numbers will reveal the date code of the housing??? If you do not want to take the cover off yourself might suggest taking the car in for a differential fluid change and ask the tech to give you the numbers off the ring gear while he has it opened up. Most techs will surely help you out if you explain your situation in advance. I know we would anyways.

Jeff
Thanks . Will try that . The numbers found will give what info ?
Old 12-15-2007, 12:07 AM
FormerVendor

Thanks . Will try that . The numbers found will give what info ?
Date code of rearend gears.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:54 AM
Banned

Default Date Code

Date code of rearend gears.
And that would be the date of manufacture ?
Old 12-15-2007, 12:22 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds like you got boned...no lube or even a reacharound. I think I'd be calling around to other dealerships, getting quotes on replacing your rear axle with a used unit, taking these numbers to that dealership, and asking for some money back....or just getting a lawyer.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:06 PM
11 Second Club

Look up the laws in your state. Here in Michigan we must show or give the customer their old parts unless there is a core. I've never heard of a dealership that expensive. Should have been around 800.00-1200.00 without changing the posi and their gorilla prices. Mention the words fraud or state prosecutor as your trump card as you cordially discuss your new diff from the dealer at their charge for their mistake. Hope it isn't an original SS or Z28. YIKES!!!