Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Okay Okay i know im sorry another rear end noise.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 12:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Okay Okay i know im sorry another rear end noise.

alright fellas, ill start off by saying that im pretty good with cars, im pretty good with about everything but rear ends, they are kind of a tricky thing, still there is still those stupid circumstances that arise that one would need help with, that being said,,,,

problem.'
i have this other 10 bolt i got from a buddy, its basically stock with richmond 4.10's and a lpw struss kit,.

i put this rear in my 99 a4 and the rear was quite as hell, no whining no nothing, only time i heard this thing was decelerating from about 10mph and it was real real quite but i could here it. okay anyways, needless to say i removed the rear after a couple weeks and put it in my shop,

keeping in mind the rear was perfect upon removal,

okay now i bought myself another f body, its an 02 m6.
so i finally got around to swapping this thing in my new car and the rear is nothing but noise all whines all speeds except for decelerating,

i know weird huh, its driving me ****** crazy.

and to top it off it just vibrates when i accelerate, more noticeable at cruising speeds in 6th, if i coast it rides fine no noise, if i lightly touch the gas it vibrates and whines,

wtf is going on,

the only differances between the cars is obviously the transmissions and when i put the 4.10 rear in i installed slp lca's. same oil same everything.

anyone got some input or ideas, im fresh out of ideas and this is driving me crazy,

thanks for reading
luke
Old 12-15-2007, 04:21 PM
Banned

Man I feel your pain. I've heard it all. Everything from changing to heavier fluid to using 2 bottles of whale sperm. Loose torque arms to bearing suddenly going bad. Loose shocks to twisted axle tubes. I've also been told that the OEM axle shafts don't come with heat - treated ends that the bearings ride on and if you replace them like with Superior heat treated shafts or some heavy duty like kind shafts that they will howl because of the heat treatment. This came straight out of the mouth of Chevy Land Dealership's SERVICE MANAGER in Shreveport,La. Yeah , thats right ! It's the heat-treatment thats the problem ! Duh ?
Course all it takes with an M6 is one good long burn-out to pull those axle shaft housings forward enough to through everything out of line in the differential .
Old 12-15-2007, 05:16 PM
11 Second Club

yeah good points, very good,

the bitch is the ****** rear end was in my 99 for like 6 months and never made a peep, now i put in my 02 and it howls like banshee, wtf,
welll i just got done TRYING to change the diff oil to 85 140 from 75 90 syn, and the damn allen plug at the bottom of my diff cover stripped out, and i dont feel like undoing all the struss **** and pulling the cover, so i tilted the rear as far forward as possible and sucked out as much as possible from the factory fill, topped it off with the motorcraft **** and that about filled it up, then i reversed the shaft 180* and checked the torque arm adn such, no luck, i dont know man
Old 12-15-2007, 07:34 PM
11 Second Club

Sperm whale oil was the key additive in GM's posi-lube in the 70's and early 80's. It cured chattering in the early lock-up converters and sticky or chattering positractions after driving about 1/2 an hour from adding to diff. We had to stop killing these whales for their oil so man cannot reproduce what nature made, so far. I do want to ask if you drove or "had fun" before the noise started for a short time or was it there when you put in your diff? I found that most noise comes the transfer from the panhard bar and track bar through the quarter panel supports OR an after market piece of suspension without rubber or eurathane was installed. Ring and pinion set-up is crucial to these cars or noise is result.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:47 PM
11 Second Club

yeah i mean it is a possibility with the poly bushings on the newly installed pan hard bar and lca;s i think i may take them off and see what happens, because its the only differeance between this car and my 99
Old 12-16-2007, 10:53 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by camarojunky74
yeah i mean it is a possibility with the poly bushings on the newly installed pan hard bar and lca;s i think i may take them off and see what happens, because its the only differeance between this car and my 99
Axle shafts will not make noise unless the bearing surface is pitted and bad. Axles do not howl, most likely the ring and pinion, or bad bearings. How long did the differential sit inbetween swapping the rears from the two cars?

Jeff
Old 12-16-2007, 12:53 PM
11 Second Club

i would say maybe 4 months or so.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:03 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by camarojunky74
i would say maybe 4 months or so.
If the rearend sat and the gears were not coated with oil it is possible you might have gotten rust on the gears thus allowing the gear to make more noise than normal.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:07 PM
11 Second Club

right this could be a possibility, so how could i clean the rust off? just some scotch brite or could i damage the wear surface? i dont wanna complicate things any further, and its funny you say that because i never rolled thru the gears and looked at them i just slapped it in,

but the rear sat inside with the cover over the top, not bolted just sitting on top