Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Shortening rear question

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 09:52 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shortening rear question

I would like to use a deeper dish wheel than my current 15x10 with a 7.5 bs. What are some of you guys doing. Can I shorten it enough to do what I want but not min tub it.

Any control arm spring issues. I want the wheels to sit where they are now but I want the inside deeper. I was thinking going with 2.5 per side and use a 5" bs wheel. Is this right ?

I know someone on here has done this. Any help would be great . Thanks Jason

Last edited by datsbad; 12-16-2007 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:33 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can go up to 3.00 inches on each side, and your thinking is correct. When ordering a new Moser rear-end, we can shorten the rear up to three inches on each side, and it is no extra charge. Bob
Old 12-18-2007, 10:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by datsbad
I would like to use a deeper dish wheel than my current 15x10 with a 7.5 bs. What are some of you guys doing. Can I shorten it enough to do what I want but not min tub it.

Any control arm spring issues. I want the wheels to sit where they are now but I want the inside deeper. I was thinking going with 2.5 per side and use a 5" bs wheel. Is this right ?

I know someone on here has done this. Any help would be great . Thanks Jason
I would get the rims and tires with the backspace you want, like you said a 15x10 with 5" backspace.

Then set the car at ride hight, center the tire so it fits just right then measure between the rims, and then you have it perfect for your rim and tire setup, most rim companies only go backspacing every inch.

Since you're going to order your rear end new and have it narrowed you can have it made to the width you need, remember most places will shorten the rear end in 1/8th" increments. So you can get it exactly to fit perfect and have as much clearance as possible.

Getting it narrowed 3 per side and using 3" less back space might fit ok, but to have the same space inside and out you'd be better off getting a custom narrowed with rather than a general figure people run.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Strange 12 bolt is narrowed 2.5 inches per side and I run a Weld Pro Star XP 15 x 10 with 5.5 BS. Little bit of work to get everything to fit right but well worth the effort.