Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Replaced axles in the 10bolt, now very noticeable resistance

Old 12-16-2007, 11:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced axles in the 10bolt, now very noticeable resistance

Here is the deal, I completely snapped the driver side axle launching at 3500rpm on slicks. yeah, I know, I know, but I was bogging on my first 2 runs and went for broke. I hear a boom and picture in my head the gears, diff, etc chewing each other apart.

Get it home, pop the cover and can't see anything wrong. I later discovered the axle. I look at the diff and gears closer and they look fine. So I decide to get a couple of axles and pop them in to replace mine for now. Any further investment like gears, etc I am getting an aftermarket.

Now, I get everything in and spin the tires. Looks and sounds ok, I spin the wheels by hand and no issues. So I back out of the garage and notice that I don't roll quite as fast down the driveway, like I have the brake on. I double check my ebrake and it is off. So I drive around the block. I notice and it still feels like I have some drag.

I pull it back into the garage and put jack stands under the rear and put it in first. Everything spins ok, but it does feel like it has some resistance since the engine is working harder than it should. When I kill the car and spin the wheels by hand I don't notice anything. So it definately isn't the brakes.

So I am thinking that the brakes, diff,, axles are ok since I can turn the wheels by hand. But perhaps the pinion got bent or something causing resistance. I don't think it is my trans(which is a beefed up t56rebuilds tranny) because I pushed the clutch in and the resistance was still there. It feels like I have a light brake pressure applied.

Any ideas?

Last edited by DEE99TA; 12-17-2007 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

Well, I pulled off the driveshaft and removed the tires. I tried turning the yoke by hand. I can't even budge it.

Any thoughts on what is wrong? I didn't know any noises but I am sure they will start if I drove far enough.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:36 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

start removing parts untill the resistance feels "normal" start with the wheels, then the calipers, then the rotor, etc. process of elimination should tell you where its at. be sure to do one part, one side at a time. this way you isolate it and can look over the parts in question.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

If I go to either wheel, it spins freely along with the other side spinning the opposite direction. So, I don't think the brakes or the axles bearing are to blame. Does that sound correct?
Old 12-17-2007, 11:46 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

what posi unit is in the rearend?
Old 12-17-2007, 11:49 PM
On The Tree

torsen
Old 12-17-2007, 11:59 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

good chance the broken axle distorted the bearing journal on the posi unit. i'd remove the driveshaft and pull the axles out. if it is still hard to turn, then its all gonna need to come apart and be inspected for problems. most of the axle failures i've seen have done some kind of damage to the posi.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:16 AM
11 Second Club

Could the axle housing have bent at the tubes ? I was hearing of axle housings that were welded incorrectly and caused resistance becaus the tubes werent straight. Just an idea.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:52 AM
FormerVendor

If the axle spins freely between both sides I doubt the problem is the housing. Sounds to me like something is going on between the ring and pinion or pinion bearing preload.

Jeff
Old 12-18-2007, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

Sounds similar to my issue. I just replaced the entire rear from a doner 3.42 M6 car.
I can turn the yoke, but I have to use both hands. My old 2.73 spins freely.

I think the pinion bearings are shot. Think I'll be making a purchase from Jawsgears soon

Search this Thread