Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Is this the sign of a failing posi?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this the sign of a failing posi?

I've had some weird things going on with the car, and I've decided that it might be the posi unit. Here is some of what is happening:

1. When turning right, it feels almost like a spool (the right tire slips a good bit).
2. When driving straight, it feels like something in the rear is catching (it feels like a slight braking when I'm not hitting the brakes).
3. When it feels like it's catching (very often) it makes a soft grinding noise. It was not noticeable at first, but has become more pronounced.

Could that be my problem? I'll probably be getting some new gears installed soon and if that is the problem, I'll have another posi go in also. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-20-2003, 10:49 PM
Banned

Default Re: Is this the sign of a failing posi?

Well I can't really help you with your questions, but when my posi started going, my car would pull to one side a little when I got on it, kinda scary. Plus only one tire would spin at times during my burnouts. And my 60's were inconsistent and didn't even help to go to a 28" tire. Lucky for me I snapped off 3 pinion teeth and a couple main gear teeth, so it's 12 bolt time!!!

With what you described, I would check your brakes and wheels to see if they're hanging up and maybe look for suspension bind in the rear-end somewhere. That's probably the best place to start.
Old 01-23-2003, 04:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Is this the sign of a failing posi?

The posi carrier went out on my car almost with the same affects as your's. My car would suddenly feel like the brakes would slam on going at a slow speed during take off, Also there was a high pitched squel from the rear everytime the tires would break loose. I also had the whole one wheel spin, thats how it started out for me. Luckily I still had warranty. I would check into it, not sure if that is the problem but, thought more advice might help.