Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

GM 4.10 gears. Any opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 05:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default GM 4.10 gears. Any opinions?

I know most people will say that putting money into a 10 bolt is a waist of time but I have an install kit already and brand new OEM GM 4.10 gears are like $180 bucks from new era. Being GM I figured they might be a little bit stronger. I dont have slicks yet so i'll just be on drag radials. Not looking for something that will last forever just a season or two. I don't go to the track much so they'll mainly be for runnin on the street, but I do go occasionly. For that kinda money do you think they'll be good just to get by on? Any experinces?

Last edited by kkslds; 01-04-2008 at 05:22 PM. Reason: price
Old 01-04-2008, 11:06 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kkslds
I know most people will say that putting money into a 10 bolt is a waist of time but I have an install kit already and brand new OEM GM 4.10 gears are like $180 bucks from new era. Being GM I figured they might be a little bit stronger. I dont have slicks yet so i'll just be on drag radials. Not looking for something that will last forever just a season or two. I don't go to the track much so they'll mainly be for runnin on the street, but I do go occasionly. For that kinda money do you think they'll be good just to get by on? Any experinces?
For street driving you should be fine. IF you are running at the track a lot, you will most likely have problems.

Let me know if you need any parts.

Jeff
Old 01-05-2008, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

gears and axles brake. With a M6 they brake alot.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:22 PM
12 Second Club

gears and axles brake. With a M6 they brake alot.
I understand this but I need gears and I dont have enough money for a built rearend yet. I'm just looking for something to get me by. I dont go to the track alot yet so I was thinking I would maybe be ok. Any opinions on a brand that might be a little stouter than the others?
Old 01-05-2008, 12:27 PM
TECH Regular

there is no best brand for a 10 bolt. It will eventually break. Why can no one get this in their head. The 10 bolt is an inferiour rear end and anything you do to it is a waste of money. There is no cure all for it, that is why when people break them (Yes it will break) they go with a 9".

If there was a solution to them not breaking don't you think we would all be going that route.

10 Bolt is a Piece of ****. Don't waste your money!!!!!!!!!! Just give me the $500 its the same thing. I have seen stock cars blow out the rear end. DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!!!!

Get the hint yet, I don't think you'll get a sympathetic ear in your plight other than a company Or sponsor lineing up to sell you more parts when it does break.

Last edited by Jays00ss; 01-05-2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:42 PM
12 Second Club

Well I have 3 friends that have 4.10's in their 10 bolts and have been fine. I know there not the best rearends but i'm just looking for something to get me by. And Motive gears are $150 bucks and $100 to get them installed. All I am looking for is opinions and you gave yours. Now stfu and be gone. Get the hint yet?!?!
Old 01-05-2008, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

The problem with 10 bolts simply is the size, it just isn't strong enough. With this being said, if they are true GM gears they will be good gears. In all honesty there isn't really a "bad" gear out there, just some whine more then others and theoretically some are a bit stronger then others but its just impossible to tell since the 10 bolt is weak. I am in the same situation as you, i have already broken one set of 4.10's but that was due to poor set-up, not the rear itself. I have since put motive gears in, properly set-up and won't really hesitate to go to the track. With Drag Radials you run the risk of breaking them, just dont do high rpm clutch drops, i refrain from clutch drops all together when on radials, i simply slip into the launch. You're always going to leave some on the table since you can't really safely get a great launch with any 10 bolt but i would say that you putting 4.10's in isn't a bad idea (its a hell of a lot more fun to drive). Just don't beat on it to bad and don't be suprised if it does break.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also one other thing that is important from my stand point is im doing all the labor myself so a gear swap for me is just the cost of the gears so i am a bit biased since it doesn't cost me $500 for a gear swap when it does break.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:16 PM
12 Second Club

Thankyou. Finally someone understanding what i'm trying to get at. I know it's a risk but for $250 bucks is it that big of a deal. My car is a dd and 4.10s would be a hell of a lot more fun. Like I said I don't go to the track very often and when I do I ease into it off the line. I'm just looking for something to get by while I save money for a built rear end. There is a local guy who is very reputable and does good work. I take the rear end out and for 100-125 he'll do the whole rear end.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by kkslds
Well I have 3 friends that have 4.10's in their 10 bolts and have been fine. I know there not the best rearends but i'm just looking for something to get me by. And Motive gears are $150 bucks and $100 to get them installed. All I am looking for is opinions and you gave yours. Now stfu and be gone. Get the hint yet?!?!
Ya, I got the hint that you're an idiot that won't listen to anybody about how pathetic the 10 bolt is. Go ahead and waste your money, While your at it spend another $150 on the worthless T/A cover.

Also goodluck finding a shop that will install gears for $100. You probly won't buy a master rebuild kit so it will break even faster.

I'll give you 1 or 2 weekends at the track tops running a drag radial before you kiss your "Investment" good bye.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:27 PM
12 Second Club

1 i'm not an idiot so go f*ck yourself and 2 I do know that they are junk but I dont have money for a built rearend right off hand. Like I said the car is a dd and i'm just looking for something to get by while I save for a 12 bolt or 9inch. I know people who have had good luck with them as long as you dont abuse them to much. I dont plan on going out and doing 5 grand dumps on them. There is a local guy who is very reputable and does good work. I take the rear end out and he does do the whole re-build.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

imo 4.10's are to much gear for a car thats mainly driven on the street,even with a 6 speed.i would only use them in a car that sees alot of track use.3.73 is a much better street gear with a m6.
i ran 4.10's for awhile and it got to the point where,on the street,i didn't even use 1st gear.left from a dead stop in 2nd.
if you drive on the freeway alot and drive 70+,the 4.10's will kill your gas milage as you will be over 2000 rpm at 70 mph.

gear wise,factory gm gear are not as loud as aftermarket.but they are not as strong as aftermarket.aftermarket gears are made with racing in mind.they are machined at a steeper angle to make them stronger but that also makes them louder.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dont listen to what everyone says here.. If you using 4.10s in ur 10bolt for just normal driving on street tires and not killing them at the track, YOULL BE FINE. If you wanna throw slicks on now and go to the track then your going to wanna slap yourself
Old 01-05-2008, 02:30 PM
12 Second Club

I dont take the car out of town much. It's just what I drive to work and to rip around town. Slicks aren't gonna happen until I get a built rear end for sure.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jays00ss
Ya, I got the hint that you're an idiot that won't listen to anybody about how pathetic the 10 bolt is. Go ahead and waste your money, While your at it spend another $150 on the worthless T/A cover.

Also goodluck finding a shop that will install gears for $100. You probly won't buy a master rebuild kit so it will break even faster.

I'll give you 1 or 2 weekends at the track tops running a drag radial before you kiss your "Investment" good bye.
Don't you think you're taking things a little far? The facts are out there about how easily the 10 bolt breaks. Everybody who has a brain wave in their head knows they are the weak link of late model F-Bodies. The bottom line is, who cares about the way he spends his money on his car? If he wants to spend $10,000.00 on 10 bolt rebuilds, who cares??? Let him!!! We don't need to call each other names. Answer the gentlemen's question, kindly suggest that if his budget allows to look into a better setup, and be done. Much easier than ranting and raving if you ask me.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea, plus you talk about wasting money..but unfortunately for us not everyone can drop over $2K into a rear end. You are essentially calling over half the people on this site idiots who are wasting money...technically anyone who takes a perfectly good car that runs and takes it apart to simply go faster less then 1% of the time the car is actually driven are idiots who are wasting money. Yes, the 10 bolt sucks but its not so bad that you have to ease off from every stop light in order to save it. Hell i know of people who have put slicks and skinny's and ran many great times before it went out. Eventually i, as well as many others, will get a better rear end but calling someone an idiot for spending a fraction of the price to still get improvements is just ignorant and pompous
Old 01-05-2008, 05:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

I have GM 3:73's...am happy..was gonna go with 4:10's..but decided on the difference. Many say there isn't much difference, but I like them...Had the rear open for new axles at the time also.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:27 PM
FormerVendor

Man, calm down LOL. I think some people aregoing to have a stroke or something. hahaha Street use you will be fine, Track you better upgrade, plain and simple.

Jeff
Old 01-06-2008, 12:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm still on the stock 10 bolt w/ a 4.10 gear and T/A cover.
Knock on wood... still taking some abuse w/MT 325/50 drag radials. It's the weakest part of the drivetrain right now.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

another way you could look at it is you can see if you rele like 4.10's for when you do get your new 12 bolt or 9inch. it may turn out that you'd prefer a 3.73 for your new rear. and you wont have to pay to swap them out then... just my .02