Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Custom Driveshaft.....Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 03:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Custom Driveshaft.....Advice Needed

Well I am doing a LS1/4L80E swap into a 94 V6 Camaro. I fabricated my own motor mounts to get the engine/trans as low as I could for autocross/handling purposes. This will be a purpose only vehicle. The engine is offset to the passenger side nearly a half inch, but it wasn't enough. Right now I have the UMI Performance Body mount torque arm with no loop installed and the 4L80E bolted to the engine and in the car. My problem is the side-to-side clearance between the yoke and the bracket for the torque arm may contact if a stock 3.5 inch driveshaft is used. I have determined it would not be possible/wise at this time to go further to the passengers side with the engine and new motor mounts, so I must work with what I have. I have aready moved the torque arm mount as much as I could to the driver's side(-1/4"), not enough. So my question is, since I need a custom drivehaft made, could I substitute diameter for thickness? For example, a 2/2.5 inch diameter shaft, with much thicker wall material to get by that bracket? I know it is physically possible, but would I run into vibration issues, high speed problems, breakage? Other issues?

No, I will not buy pre-made motor mounts and reset the engine. This is a budget build and I am a fabricator.

Yes. The driveshaft is supposed to be mostly above the torque arm when vehicle is loaded, but as stated before the drivetrain is 1/2" lower than stock so therefore I am running into this problem.

No. I can't remove the oil pan without taking the engine out.

Yes. the motor mounts are solid as solid can be, no adjusting, no bushings.

Serious advice only please!!
Old 01-14-2008, 07:19 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

A 2.5" steel shaft would be more than adequate for most cars. And a 3" steel is almost unbreakable under most normal ( and racing ) circumstances.