Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Experience with 9 inch from Driveline Solutions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 12:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experience with 9 inch from Driveline Solutions.

I purchased a NEW 9 inch rear from Driveline Solutions about 3 mos. ago. I had to wait about 6 weeks for it to come in because of shipping problems. I bought the strange center section (iron) with 3.89 USA gears. After the install I had some noise issues.
Loud whine from 35 up to 70 mph. Of course, the most noticeable at cruising speed 74mph. I also had a grind/roar coming from 30 to a stop.
Scott at Driveline Solutions told me to use a thicker gear oil.and check for brake backing plates rubbing. I did all that and no change.
I then took the center section out and brought it to Bill Hood Ford in Hammond, my place of work and ran a pattern on the ring and pinion. The pull side of the gear had a bad pattern. The coast side was fine.
I will be posting up some pictures soon. I have also called Scott several times, left e-mails, etc. but no response.
Unfortunately, I cannot enjoy my brand new 408 engine I installed and just got tuned until this concern is corrected. Sadly enough, I am going to have to remove the 9 inch and put the 10 bolt back in.....for now.
I am starting this tread not to badmouth anyone, but to hopefully get this concern taken care of. Scott, contact me Please...
Old 12-19-2007, 01:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you follow proper break-in for the rear before really gettin on it? It is also possible you just got a bad set of gears. I would have just tried swappin out gear sets & seein what happened instead of removin the entire rear.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:40 PM
Teching In

Default 9 inch

I followed the break in process to a t. Also used the non synthetic oil, like the instructions.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:50 PM
TECH Regular

Wow second bad thread about this place. Both of you have gotten 0 customer service on the issues.

I am so glad I went where I did because I almost bought through this guy. Place I bought my set up from was "Johnny on the spot" with every call I had which was mostly install help. My set up is nice and quiet with motive Performance gears and a Strange Pro Nodular third member.

Maybe the Moderators should help step in on this because no one likes throwing down $2500 + and getting shitty support!!!
Old 12-20-2007, 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

I have heard bad things about 3.89's being especially noisy but surely shouldnt be as bad as you are explaining. When I was searching for a new rear end Driveline solutions was 1 of the companys I considered. A big selling point that they were making was setting up rear ends themselves in house and being right the 1st time. Im glad I went with EPP. Sorry to hear your troubles.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn shame. I had nothing but great service and set up from Driveline Solutions when I bought my 9" Moser with Strange chunk with 3.89 gear and Detroit Locker. It was my first time assembling a rearend and everything went like clockwork.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

It is pretty strange to have trouble with a 9". They are a piece of cake to set up compared to a 12 bolt and some others. I did my first one on my altered that ran 8.10s. No problem.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:02 PM
TECH Resident

Must have been bad break-in or just a bad set of gears, i couldnt imagine that any of the problem was from Scotts part, ive had nothing but great service and results from my 9 inch i got last year from him
Old 12-21-2007, 04:32 PM
Banned

I got a 9in with 4.11s from scott over a year ago and havent had any troubles with it! It has a slight wine at 60 but nothing crazy. Everytime i left a message with questions he always got back to me in a short time frame.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:23 AM
12 Second Club

You should remeber its the holidays maybe he went on vacation? I say try back after christmas.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:27 AM
TECH Resident

Have to agree with others. Might got a bad set of gears. I did a lot of searching around before I bought my rear and Scott and had a lot of good reviews on his rears and customer service so I chose him and have been pretty happy so far. I pretty much got the same set up as you and haven't had any real big probs. I have a whine on load that starts around 65mph but its not that bad. Im gonna throw some fresh 75-140 in it and hopefully that will help. Put about 2500k on the rear so far.

Hope you get it figured out. Im sure Scott will get with ya. I too called him yesterday for some info and got voice mail but it is the holidays so you never know. Good luck to ya. I know I too would be aggravated not having my car on the road with a new motor and rear.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:33 AM
12 Second Club

Ive had a bad experience with DLS myself. See the other DLS thread.

For the OP... what was your shipping experience? I had the pleasure of receiving my 9" dinged and broken... not strapped to a pallet... sent it back and a few weeks later I rec'd the same rear end with new backing plates and fresh paint. Thing is my rear was dropped several times during shipping.... on the yoke.. on the axle ends damaging the studs... on the housing itself. After installing when I got it back I now have severe howling issues... and bad vibration on decel.. leaking at the drain and 3rd member. I dont feel confident that the rear end was even opened up and checked after it was returned.

Looking back I wish I would have gone with a local dealer.

FWIW Scott did get ahold of me after PMs and emails.... Im supposed to send my center back to him for a rebuild. Finding time to do that is a bitch for me.... and Ill have to pay for shipping to him at least. Like I said in the other thread.. I might just dish out the $ for a local rebuild where I can drive in and have it done. I got a quote for $387 including new gears with a holiday special.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Sure Scott might have done a good job 6-12 months ago, but not anymore.

Does anyone remember Absolute Speed (LS1 Ported Heads), a lot of people got screwed from him and then he went under. I was one of the lucky ones that got a good set of heads from him and got good customer service.

At this point, I'm not sending him anything. Scott won't call me, why should I send it in, can't trust him anymore. I've been trying to get a hold of him for 3 weeks or so now, most people don't take 6 weeks off for the holidays.

Myself and others would probably get screwed if we sent him our center sections for a rebuild. We would probably never get it sent back to us or it might take 6 months. He should have to pay for shipping (both ways) and he should reimburse us some how for all the BS we have been going through.

Scott, do the right thing, call us back and give us good customer service....

For others think Scott is so great, check out my thread...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls1tech-sponsor-feedback/830158-any-one-having-problems-scott-dls.html
Old 12-23-2007, 10:04 AM
Teching In

Default 9 inch rear

I am going to wait till after the first of the year, and after that, I am going to take the center section apart and change the gears and set it up. I work at a Ford Dealer and have a few 9 inch experts there to help me. It just pisses me off that I paid $2500 for a rear I have to work on.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have bought my 9inch rear and i have no problems what so ever with the rear other then a whine between 60mph-80mph and leaking a bit from the third member. other then that, its holding great. i haven't had any bad customer service with Scott during the time, of the install and have gotten a hold of him threw his phone 75% of the time. im hoping its just a hiccup for scott and could get this resolved in an orderly fashion. i hate to see a great rear end builder go down in flames
Old 12-26-2007, 06:47 PM
11 Second Club

when i was buying mine i had a hard time geting in contact with him, had a mix up with shipping, the drivers side backing plate the adjuster lock for the ebrake does not toutch the adjuster, every so often i gotts adjust it. i also have poly motor and trans mounts, and umi adj/poly lca and the adj. tourq arm. im still on the oem springs and shocks (98k miles). i do get a small bit of whine. its hard to tell what parts he used to build the rear also, and his web site all ways sucked and im not even sure if it works now. i did save a couple hundred by going with DLS, bit now just for the extra pice of mind i wish i went with EPP
Old 12-27-2007, 02:26 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

See feedback section, we were out of town for a family matter.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:36 PM
Teching In

Arrow 9 inch rear

Update: Scott replied to me and I am sending the center section back for a new set of gears.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:06 AM
TECH Regular

Im in the Market for a M9 rear-end now .. i think EPP might be a step in the right direction -- anyone else using a M9 for a daily driver ?
Old 01-21-2008, 01:18 PM
Teching In

Default 9 inch rear

Driveline Solutions came through for me. I sent the center section back to Scott and he put in a new pinion and ring gear. I received it on Saturday at 5:30 P.M. and I was driving it around 7:00 P.M. that night. Noise gone.
Thumbs up for D.L.S.