Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Differential Break-In Procedure.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Differential Break-In Procedure.

Just had my gears replaced. The shop gave me a Break-In Procedure paper. I decided to post it in case somebody wanted to know. My gears were replaces with AAM OEM GM 7.625 4.10 ring and pinion set from UNITRAX.

Ring and pinion sets require a break-in period to prevent damage from overheating. Overloading or overheating will cause the lubrication to fail resulting in damage to the ring and pinion. In order to maximize the life of you differential, please follow this break-in procedure.

1. After installation, fill the differential with only premium national brand 80w90 or 85w140 GL-5 gear oil. Also add 4-8 ounces of Dane Spicer friction modifier to the oil if your differential contains a limited-slip or posi unit. Alert: Verify that the drain and fill plugs are properly secured.

2. Drive your vehicle easy for 30 minutes or approximately 20 miles. Avoid aggressive starts, hard stops and long distances at a steady speed.

3. Let the differential cool for at least 45 minutes.

4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 once.

5. It is not recommended to tow during the first 500 miles. Also avoid wide-open throttle acceleration for the first 300 miles.

6. When towing for the first time, drive easy for 20 miles let the differential cool for 45 minutes.

7. It is recommended to change the differential fluid between 2,500 and 5,000 miles. Use the lubricant specified in step 1. Subsequent oil changes should be performed every 20,000-30,000 miles.

Many differentials have been damaged by overheating, overloading, inadequate or improper lubrication. The above procedures may be a minor inconvenience, but if followed, your differential should prove to be one of the most dependable devices in your vehicles.

Again, this was a list given to me by the shop.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:25 PM
Launching!

I am getting ready to do the same upgrade and have a question, do you have to add the posi additive to a Torsen? I didn't think Torsens have clutch packs in them. I have Redline 75w90 that has the additive in it. Thanks for the instructions.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:11 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by chevystyle
Just had my gears replaced. The shop gave me a Break-In Procedure paper. I decided to post it in case somebody wanted to know. My gears were replaces with AAM OEM GM 7.625 4.10 ring and pinion set from UNITRAX.

Ring and pinion sets require a break-in period to prevent damage from overheating. Overloading or overheating will cause the lubrication to fail resulting in damage to the ring and pinion. In order to maximize the life of you differential, please follow this break-in procedure.

1. After installation, fill the differential with only premium national brand 80w90 or 85w140 GL-5 gear oil. Also add 4-8 ounces of Dane Spicer friction modifier to the oil if your differential contains a limited-slip or posi unit. Alert: Verify that the drain and fill plugs are properly secured.

2. Drive your vehicle easy for 30 minutes or approximately 20 miles. Avoid aggressive starts, hard stops and long distances at a steady speed.

5. It is not recommended to tow during the first 500 miles. Also avoid wide-open throttle acceleration for the first 300 miles.

6. When towing for the first time, drive easy for 20 miles let the differential cool for 45 minutes.

7. It is recommended to change the differential fluid between 2,500 and 5,000 miles. Use the lubricant specified in step 1. Subsequent oil changes should be performed every 20,000-30,000 miles.

Many differentials have been damaged by overheating, overloading, inadequate or improper lubrication. The above procedures may be a minor inconvenience, but if followed, your differential should prove to be one of the most dependable devices in your vehicles.

1. Agreed
2. Agreed
3. 15-20 minutes is adequate
4. We reccomend proces for the 1st 100 miles
5. Agreed but 500 miles for all towing and heavy acceleration
6. Agreed but 15 to 20 minutes adequate
7. Change oil at the 500 mile mark, then every 10,000-15,000 miles. Differential will last longer.

No additive needed for a Torsen Differential but does not hurt it if you use it.

Jeff
Old 10-19-2008, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

Funny,
I didn't do any of this when my car was new. Wasn't my diff new then? Yes, I drove it easy for the first 500 miles, but that's all.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Paul 1953
Funny,
I didn't do any of this when my car was new. Wasn't my diff new then? Yes, I drove it easy for the first 500 miles, but that's all.
this is what i was thinking also. i have never did any of that with a new car and never had a problem with the gear making noise. so if you use another factory gear why does it all of a sudden have a break in process..lol
Old 10-19-2008, 03:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will refer to this in a couple days when I do mine. Thanks a lot.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:03 PM
Teching In

Default New 373 diff break in

Originally Posted by chevystyle

I was wondering if cruising for 10 miles at 59 with cruise control on it that is going to hurt my new diff after the first 2 warm up cycles my procedure just said keep under 65 and do 3 30-40 mile cycles and after 10 mile top off then 17 miles with 5 figure 8s then 45 min cooling then after 15 miles put cruise on at 58 then 60 then 59 for about 15 miles total
Old 04-22-2016, 02:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gamdrunk
I was wondering if cruising for 10 miles at 59 with cruise control on it that is going to hurt my new diff after the first 2 warm up cycles my procedure just said keep under 65 and do 3 30-40 mile cycles and after 10 mile top off then 17 miles with 5 figure 8s then 45 min cooling then after 15 miles put cruise on at 58 then 60 then 59 for about 15 miles total
Seriously?!? Are you also supposed to spin around while patting your head and rubbing your tummy? That break-in procedure couldn't sound more ridiculous.

Quick Reply: Differential Break-In Procedure.