Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

ford 9" pinion setup troubles......PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default ford 9" pinion setup troubles......PLEASE HELP

I'm having trouble setting up the pinion on this 9" rear. Brand new 3.89 gears brand new install kit with adjustable shim sleeve. Case is just your standard 9" iron case. Standard pinion support housing.
Trouble I'm having is, i get the pinion in the pinion support and the bearings are all in. Along with the adjustable shim sleeve and the pinion nut torqued to 175lbs but there is still about .010-.020 of play in the pinion support. If i stand the pinion on end i can move the support up and down. Its like its not getting tight.
I've used all the shims i have and its thicker the the crush sleeve that came with the kit. The shim kit is .512 thick. I dont have a old crush sleeve to go by but something just doesnt seem right with it that loose.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:27 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sroka
I'm having trouble setting up the pinion on this 9" rear. Brand new 3.89 gears brand new install kit with adjustable shim sleeve. Case is just your standard 9" iron case. Standard pinion support housing.
Trouble I'm having is, i get the pinion in the pinion support and the bearings are all in. Along with the adjustable shim sleeve and the pinion nut torqued to 175lbs but there is still about .010-.020 of play in the pinion support. If i stand the pinion on end i can move the support up and down. Its like its not getting tight.
I've used all the shims i have and its thicker the the crush sleeve that came with the kit. The shim kit is .512 thick. I dont have a old crush sleeve to go by but something just doesnt seem right with it that loose.
You need to take some shims out. You have too many in the pack. As you remove some shim your preload will tighten and the slop will be eliminated.

Jeff
Old 01-23-2008, 12:22 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

OEM factory solid spacers start out at .482 thousands. If you have the ratech kit take out the .010 shim and start from there. Also please let us know who's pinion support you are trying to build. IE Ford Motorsport Daytona, Mitler Bro's. Moser, etc.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys, I will give that a try today after work. Just using a factory hooded pinion support.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:52 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

You might want to sacrifice a crush collar and use a micrometer to measure the thickness, that way you can be alot closer on preload.

Quick Reply: ford 9" pinion setup troubles......PLEASE HELP